How to help with handwriting?

My five year old daughter will be starting kindergarten in the fall. She knows her letters and sounds. She hates to write her name. She will start the first letter in her name and then freeze. I always have a sample of her name to look at. Any ideas on how to help?

Thanks!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 7:42 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Relax... they will help her in school... pushing her now will frustrate you both!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:50 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Let her practice some fun handwriting. Use finger paints, a magna-doodle or spray some shaving cream on your counter and let her write in it. We used the shaving cream trick on our tables in my classroom and the kids LOVED it and it cleans the tables in the process. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:51 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Very true,,,although she has been in preschool for 2 years
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I will try it....she will probably love that activity
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 7:52 PM on May. 21, 2011

• http://www.first-school.ws/theme/handwriting.htm

Here's a link to a website I used. Also, Google "Home school worksheets, learning to write" You can print them and award with stickers. There's also a word generator that you can spell her name and it prints the trace letters for her to practice on. All free. Another idea is to get one of those dry erase notepads for beginning writers, there's usually a cartoon character of some sort to make it fun to look at and use. And don't forget, have fun! Reward with lots of stickers and maybe a pick your dinner night after completing a week of practice work. You may not want to reward with food, it's really not good for her to associate food with feeling happy or fulfilled or something. I prefer stickers, bubbles, costume jewelry, dollar theater movie, etc. Good luck!!!
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 7:59 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Thanks you for the ideas :-)
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on May. 21, 2011