What's the best way to tell a family member we're expecting?

My parents already know, but my grandmother made it quite clear a few months ago that she doesn't think know is a good time for us to start a family. Well, too late! We've always been close, but I'm scared she'll flip out. I want to tell her so badly, but I'm afraid of her reaction. Any suggestions?

mrsjon

Asked by mrsjon at 7:44 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Send her a picture frame that eludes to a baby being born. Once she sees how cute baby things are how can she be mad:)

Or take her out to lunch and give her a tiny photo album of ultrasound photos. There is no way to be in a salty mood when you see an outline of a baby. Congratulations!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• i understand with my second child i knew my grandparents wouldnt be too happy, but i talked with my grandmother and told her flat out, we are expecting{this was my husbands first child} she was not happy at first but she said she still loves me and will be there for me, and she has, my grandfather i told him and he said "dont you remember what caused it?!" but wasnt harsh, i agreed but he looked at me as weary as he was and said he would still love this child, and me no matter what. your grandparents my be set in their ways but you are blood and no matter what theyll be there for you. so dont hold back you good news:)
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 8:18 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I know it isn't always easy to tell family when you know they may not be happy but you should make sure that she knows you are excited about it and theat you really love her and want her blessing. I am sure she will fall in love with baby as soon as she hold s/he!! My grandpa I am sure is gonna wonder what is wrong with us cause we are expecting again. But my gma will prob be ok with it. We have three and my niece lives with us also! So you are not alone hun!
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 8:29 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Hmmmm. I never had a problem deciding when and how to tell the family. Just say "Guess what, we are so happy, we are having a baby,gramma!" and if you are cheerful enough,I am sure she will be too!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:55 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Oh, but we were married and had been for two years. Are you not married ?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• We've been married two years. We lived 12 hours away the first two, and recently moved back to the same state. Now we live about 1 1/2 hours from my family. I don't know what her problem is. She loves everybody else's babies! I guess making her a great-grandmother may make her feel old...
    mrsjon

Comment by mrsjon (original poster) at 8:59 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Just tell her....older people have their way of thinking....its your life and she will find out sooner or later...
    mamaevans2

Answer by mamaevans2 at 11:31 PM on May. 21, 2011