Do other religions say if you're not(fill in the blank religion)you're going to hell?

I guess terrorists would,but they don't speak for all Muslims by any means.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:44 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• As far as I'm aware, from my study and all, other religions, like Judaism and Islam, allow for nonmembers to have a chance at God's love and grace, and don't automatically say they're destined for hell. Many Jews don't believe in hell, and many other religions don't either. Christianity is the only one I've come across where so many of the believers (though not all of us!) believe that all nonmembers are destined for hell. Comes from the whole idea that "Jesus is the only way", and if other paths are valid (in their opinion, anyway, not mine), what's the point of following this one? I personally don't believe a religion has to be absolute or exclusive to be valid, so.... Christian Universalism for me! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:23 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The real question - how many religions have a Hell to damn people to in the first place?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Just as all Muslims are not terrorists all Christians are not out to damn you to hell.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:56 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Here is info on Hell from a variety of POV's

If you read through, most of those aren't places of eternal damnation that you damn people to. Heathen Hel is simply the afterlife - EVERYONE goes there, regardless of how they live or die, with only exceptions for Valhalla and Folkvangr. Most other polytheistic religions work the same way, there is a place (or multiple places) of afterlife, but not a place of damnation. Even Hades, which people like to use as a euphemism for Christian Hell, is just a place, with one small corner related to bad behavior.

As for Jewish viewpoints on Hell, that's a whole different argument altogether, which segues into the Christians who believe that even Christian Hell is a perversion of the actual scripture.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:13 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Religions other than what?

And why give one a free pass with a line like:

but assume that others have those that speak for them-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:52 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Nope, there are many paths to heaven. I think all things being equal Catholic is the better route. This question is mulled over often. I don't think that proportionally, there are a whole lot of people not going to make it.

But then again, my church teaches that "once saved; always saved" is not a truism.  You can, through rejection of that gift from Christ, lose your salvation. 

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:57 AM on May. 22, 2011

• True,NP

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on May. 21, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:00 PM on May. 21, 2011

• which segues into the Christians who believe that even Christian Hell is a perversion of the actual scripture.

Correct- and depending on your POV depends on who/what you believe the perversion to be and based on what interpretation- and how prevalent that belief is-

I just found it interesting that the OP gives a pass to one- does not name another-yet assumes we will all know is Christianity- just seems so....... silly-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:21 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I wasn't including terrorists in the Muslim faith. I didn't exclude Muslims.I don't know how they believe,that's why I asked this.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on May. 21, 2011