How can I get my 3 week old to sleep well at night??

I think that she's starting to get her nights and days mixed up.

She's not sleeping well at night but sleeps fine during the day.

LDougherty3

Asked by LDougherty3 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All 3 week olds get their nights and days mixed up. It's normal for a child that age to not sleep through the night, or sleep better through the day. Hate to say it, but this is one of those situations where you just have to suck it up and take it...it's just how babies are.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• This is true. You just have to deal with it. And babies that young have to eat during the night. At least thats what the Dr.s say. He/she gets hungry. And my son is almost 8 months and STILL doesnt sleep through the night. Im struggling myself, but you get used to it. It will be fine before you know it.
    atlantafan06

Answer by atlantafan06 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Two things to try:
    Get her into bright light (sunlight is best) within one hour of her getting up in the morning. This will help reset her body's clock.
    Do your best to keep her awake for 2 hours stretches during the day. Then let her nap for an hour.

Once you think her days and nights are right again, try to remember that she still won't "sleep through the night". I've found this site helpful in figuring out when and how my baby should sleep:
    http://www.familysleep.com/newborn-to-2-months.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• You could try keeping her up more during the day. Impossible I know but you can try so that later on, when she's exhausted, she'll sleep a bit longer but not straight through. I kind of helped my cousin w/ this same problem an it's working. What I told her was when it's night, whenever the time she wants him to sleep, tidy him off or give him a nice wipe down give him a bottle and swaddle him like a tortilla in his lil blanky an lay him dwn to sleep. Since he's so attached to her she lay him down beside her to sleep an VOILA! he slept for like 5 hrs straight dat night. so maybe you can try dat. She's still doing it an it works.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My Dr. told me not to keep a baby in the same room with you (the mom) because they can smell you and your milk and that makes them wake up. When my daughter was 2 weeks we moved her to her own room and she got up and cried than went right back to sleep...shes been sleeping through the night ever since.
    JK123

Answer by JK123 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• wait another 3 weeks and it may work :)
    mzjackie

Answer by mzjackie at 1:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• It's too soon for you to start trying to "train" your baby to sleep all night... just go with the flow & try to keep her up longer during the day. When she naps during the day time, make more noise & keep the curtains open. At night, make her room dark & quiet. She'll get adjusted soon.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I agree with the other mommas. Theres' NO WAY you'll be able to get your 3 week old to sleep through the night. My 7 1/2 month old won't even sleep all night yet. Wait until she's 2 months at LEAST before attempting to get her to sleep all night.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 4:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• swaddle tight and often it worked wonders for my kids.sometimes paci.'s help too. Also some soft music and maybe something interesting to look at such as a mobile. my son also loved the crib vibrator and wouldn't sleep without it until he was several months old.
    Tayleina

Answer by Tayleina at 4:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2008