Help, im trying to potty train my 2 yr old son. its been 3 days and no luck!!

i need some tips/advise. i am getting very discouraged. i need help. thanks

rlmaye

Asked by rlmaye at 9:18 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 3 days is way too soon to get discouraged. Some children may get it in a few days but I would say a few weeks is average and that depends on how ready and how old the child is. 1.5-3 years is the average age range for successful potty training so you've got awhile before you need to be concerned.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:21 PM on May. 21, 2011

• He's not ready yet. Try again in a few months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:56 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I took my son literally 1 full month of me taking him every 15 min then slowly increasing the time during that month before I got him to start going on his own or atleast telling me he needed to potty. There were a ton of accidents but once it clicked and he got the idea that when he needs to potty it all was so much easier. He has been telling me now for 3 wks when he needs to potty and has only had one accident and this past week we started letting him wear underwear to bed at night. The key is to just stay very consistent and talk to ur lil one about potty all the time. Gets books movies or whatever you can find to encourage ur lil one to want to go. It will happen when he is ready promise. My son is just now 28 months and I had a ton of moms on here telling me he just wasn't ready...well you know ur son best so hang in there and keep it up if you really think he is ready. Good luck!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:13 PM on May. 21, 2011

• my son will be 4 next month but about a week before he turned 2 i decided i was gonna try to potty train him..i didnt do the every 15 minute thing but when he seen me and his dad go we would bring him in there show him the potty have him sit there a little bit while we used it...I did not want to rush him besides I had another baby who is 15 months younger than him...he would really good and say pee and we would take him to the potty...he was not fully potty trained till almost three and my DD and my DS were potty training together...it will take time..its only 2 months don't get too upset.
    mamaevans2

Answer by mamaevans2 at 10:32 PM on May. 21, 2011

• has he already shown signs of readiness without any coercion from you? Like, was he already interested in sitting on the potty? Did he tell you when he had to pee or poop? Does he make an effort to hide or exhibit his facial expressions when making a BM? If he hasn't shown any signs of readiness, i would wait a few months and try again. When you do finally try again, make it clear that there is no going back to diapers/pull ups . . . that he's only to poop and pee on the potty from that point on. And be sure to get rid of the pull ups so you don't cave!
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:35 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My youngst gave me the biggest with this one... he was darn there 4 before he woke up one day and chose to do it... in his time, on his terms (yes he is the most hard headed child most meet, when his mind is made up)...

Each child is different... my middle son wasn't even 2 when he potty trained... he saw my youngest, knew we called the youngest "the baby", and chose not to be a baby too..... hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:24 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Id wait a little bit longer, I've helped potty train alot of kids and it always seems to take boys longer. They just dont have an interest in it. It took a couple months for one boy I watched, and he had SEVERAL accidents because he wasn't ready. Sometimes it will take even longer if the child isn't ready. I'd just talk to him about going but not push it and hopefully he'll come around or you could always try it later and see what happens. But it is a slow process for alot of kids
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 1:23 PM on May. 22, 2011