Whats your thoughts on near death experiences?

I watch a lot of discovery channel, science channel, biography, stuff like that. Maybe too much lol but I like it. Anyway, there is a show on one of them called I Survived...Beyond and Back. There are several of these survival shows now, but this one recounts the near death experiences of those who were clinically dead and revived. I have heard people not only describe out of body experiences, but heaven and also torture in hell. Which surprised me cause I had never heard of one where they said they went to hell. What do you think? Plausible or just the short circuiting of a dying brain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I am kind of going either way on that one. I am Christain except I don't really believe as most Christians in a way. I don't believe you neccessarily have to go to church to right form wrong.
    But I believe what people see can be strong enough to make them believe in something and who are we to question it. They have a right to believe what they like as we do.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 9:29 PM on May. 21, 2011

• When somebody says they have a near death experience, who am I to question that experience? A book you might find interesting: 23 Minutes In Hell by Bill Weiss.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:33 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Thanks for the book recommendation, sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:34 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I recently did that. When I had my miscarriage, I died. Everything went cold then warm and then silent. When I opened my eyes on the nurse I was so mad because I was comfortable and she had smelling salts in my face. Then I saw DH looking so helpless, I just started to cry.

I think the near death experience from my POV was a release from fear and pain. But I don't believe in heaven, so I guess the same feelings to a believer would have been a glimpse.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:24 AM on May. 22, 2011

• lack of oxygen in the brain can cause all kind of episodes. My best friends daughter was suffering from brain cancer and she saw purple unicorns and ghost above her bed. It is very common in brain cancer patients.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:25 AM on May. 22, 2011

• If it is a short circuit of the brain then why does every one sees the same thing, there are countless stories of what they saw as they were pronounced dead and then came back, most of the accounts are very similar, too similar to be anything but true.

Answer by older at 2:06 PM on May. 22, 2011

• My favorite ones are the ones where they mention a passed family member being their guide to the other side. I hope I get a relative guide like that when it's my time to go.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 5:05 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You would be surprised at what the brain can do. Common stories as in what? Bright white light? Seeing family members? The brain can do amazing things. I am not one to sit here and argue but I just pointed out common things that happen
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:33 PM on May. 22, 2011

• oh and I myself have almost died and I didn't see any family members at all thank you very much. Yes, there was a bright white light but that meant nothing to me. i am alive and well thanks to my mother coming and saving me from my ex choking me so bad that I was rendered unconscious and suffered severe bruising inside and outside my neck.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:34 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I think that people really do experience heaven/hell. I believe that God allows them to come back simply because it wasnt their time or to tell others about the experience. Maybe God knew it would change someones life by the experience or hearing of the experience. I myself have never been to either but God has a perfect reason why or why not someone has to go through this!!
    mammaangelof4

Answer by mammaangelof4 at 11:29 PM on May. 23, 2011