Depression while pregnant?

I'm 27 weeks pregnant with my second child. I had bad PPD after my first was born, and my pregnancies have only been 15 months apart. I have had "down" days now and then, but nothing like where it is now. I dont want to do anything. I feel worthless. I feel like a failure because our baby wont have a bedroom (not much I can do about it), I feel ugly. I have no interest in doing anything and I'm getting angry very very easily.

I waited a while but my dr knows that i have some days, and we have decided jointly that I didnt need medication until I KNEW it wasnt hormones. I'm calling my dr on monday and seeing about getting my appointment moved to a day earlier than the 31st. Has anyone been on anti-depressants during their pregnancy? I'm worried about side effects for the baby.

ArmyWifeAshlie

Asked by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:01 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was euphoric while pregnant, but had TERRIBLE post partum depression. It's great that you are aware and taking care of yourself. Happy mommy = happy family. :-)
    IntuitiveMJ

Answer by IntuitiveMJ at 10:26 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I dunno if it's the hormones or not but when I was pregnant, I felt exactly the same way you are feeling now.. "that too shall pass"... I had no option but to bear with it.. It's best to consult a doctor first before taking any medication as it might affect your baby... You ain't alone Ashlie... just hang on, it's really not easy but have faith it will be over too in due time...

hugs

ayeeza

Answer by ayeeza at 10:28 PM on May. 21, 2011

• There is so much info out there about PPD but the reality is, depression is more common during pregnancy than after.

I was on Zoloft before my pregnancies, and I continued to take it through all of my pregnancies and breastfeeding. It is a matter of comparing risks. Which is worse for baby, a depressed mom or getting some meds. Often the stress hormones etc. Related to depression are worse.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:10 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I def felt that when I was prego with my DD not to mention my DH and I were arguing way to much and I worked 2nd shift so My sleep schedule was a mess....I had talked to my Dr and I was put on PROZAC.... and had to take it till my daughter was 6 months old...Im sure it is common while pregnant to be depressed and stressed and all of the above...Just talk to you Dr about what they can do to help you....there are resources that are helpful..
    mamaevans2

Answer by mamaevans2 at 11:21 PM on May. 21, 2011

• thank you ladies. I am going to call and see about moving my appointment on monday. The research I have done seems promising and the dr and I have discussed it already. I'm so irritable all the time and its because I just feel like crap all day every day about myself. DH is gone all the time (yay army) and thats the life I signed up for. But its making things a lot more difficult. I have no outlets or time to myself and I dont want to take my issues out on my son. He's a toddler, he makes me so mad sometimes, but I have to remind myself, its because he's a toddler, thats what they do. But my fuse is getting shorter and shorter. My dr is more than willing to put me on something, she also respects my space to come to the conclusion on my own seeing as i am not harming myself.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Comment by ArmyWifeAshlie (original poster) at 11:55 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I am 35 weeks pregnant. I have anxiety and depression. I was taking pristique for it before I got pregnant. When I got pregnant I decided on my own to stop taking them because #1- I dont want to take any pills while I am pregnant, I wont even take tylenol when I get migranes.. and #2- my doctor told me that taking my anti-depression and anti-anxiety medicine while Im pregnant my baby could get used to having the supplement and then when they are born they will have a greater chance of also having depression and anxiety because their body is already used to the medicine that prevents it, and they would no longer be getting it.
    I have my days where I get anxiety attacks and I feel worthless and severely depressed and fat and ugly and all that, but I honestly think my pregnancy hormones effecting my mood swings and making me cry at just about everything for no reason is worse. I just try to stay relaxed and positive. Good Luck!
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 12:33 PM on May. 22, 2011

• It is better to visit a doctor about it.
    dlovelymomma

Answer by dlovelymomma at 12:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2011