Walking around by themselves at 11

I just found out that when my SD (11) goes over to her friends house all they do is walk around all the side streets by her friends house. It makes me very nervous cause theres like 15 side streets and at the top of the street is a big shopping center. I let my husband know what was going on (hes out of town). Im i making a big deal out of nothing? I still think 11 is to young to be doing that.

tomsjennabean

Asked by tomsjennabean at 10:36 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree its too young to be out at that time of the night. Where is her mother and the other children's parents?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:38 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yeah, I think 11 is too young. Too many freaks in the world to let little girls wander like that...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:40 PM on May. 21, 2011

• im not sure what time frame we are talking about. Like last night she had to be home by 830. But tonight shes sleeping over there. I have so much on my mind right now with being prego and dealing with a 16month old and 4 yr old that it didnt even click with me till a few mins. ago or i wouldnt have let her spend the night. We always trusted that her moms friend was home and watching them but i guess we cant trust her anymore and on top of that her friend is one of the girls that will wear "slutty" clothes. I wont let SD wear short shorts or anything like that.
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 10:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes, and it's a little sketchy looking to others as well. Kids do that around here all the time, and it makes me uneasy.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• yeah not cool with me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I don't know. I am sure I was allowed to walk around far younger than 11, but I guess times have changed and it REALLY depends on the neighborhood.

That said, I would be glad they were at least in a group. Strangers are less likely to mess with someone who is part of a group.

I probably would not let my child do it...and I feel bad saying that...but the world is so much scarier now.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:01 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I am 25 and when I was 11 I was walking around everywhere..Im sure my mother was concerned but she let me walk the neighborhood and I was outside all the time.....but when I look back on it I am like what i was only 11...I did walk by myself a lot of times to go over to friends house and then it was about 4 or 5 of us...anything could have happened....maybe get like an emergency prepaid phone for when she is over there or something...and If you do not really want her to walk around like that let the other parents know you do not want her to do that...Im not sure what I will be like when my kids are 11 they are only 2 and 4..
    mamaevans2

Answer by mamaevans2 at 11:11 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I told my dh I like in plant a GPS devise in our daugter and just use it if happens to her but he said no :( lol Alkthough many phones today have GPS locators in them if somethiung does happen.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:30 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I'm 25 so it wasn't too long ago when I was 11 and I'd go out from morning until dusk all over town with just a few friends and my boyfriend - our parents had no idea where we were or what we were up to and even though nothing ever bad happened to us I still feel uneasy about letting children out like that at 11...even though this town is much safer now than it was back then. I'm trying not to think of when my kids when they start asking to go out and explore by themselves...my oldest is 6 so I still have awhile before I need to start thinking of excuses to not let them roam the town without looking overly protective.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 12:42 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I think that is far too young. On base, I see young kids that can't be more than 5 o 6 by themselves and I just want to slap their parents. What the hell are people thinking?
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 12:54 AM on May. 22, 2011