Help ideas needed

Im due the end of August with baby #3 i have a 4 yr old who will start Kindergarten this coming fall and a 16month old who will be about 20months when the new one comes. I need to help my 16month old to learn to fall asleep on her own and how to make the change to a toddler bed. She sleeps on a queen size air matress already (everytime we lowered her down to the crib she would wake up this went on for weeks so i layed her one night on the air mattress and she sleeps there every since lol) I would love to just have her lay down and go to sleep. As of right now DH gives her a bottle and rocks her till she falls asleep.

tomsjennabean

Asked by tomsjennabean at 10:42 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We used the Ferber method... Our dd hasn't slept in our room since she was 2 weeks old, unless she was sick.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• whats the Ferber method? Both of my kids had about 2wks in our bedroom but that was only cause DH parents stay with us when they visit. I already have to share a room with the snoring dinosaur lol.
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 10:48 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Even the AAP advises against the Ferber method. It's a bit more challenging to have a 16 month old cry it out. They have legs and can get up and walk around. You would have to hog tie her to do the Ferber Method. Try the book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. There is some great advice in there (I don't necessarily agree with all of it but just like any other parenting book, You take what you need and forget the rest) about the best sleeping routines depending on the child's age.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:52 PM on May. 21, 2011

• We never are able to get our daughter to stay asleep if she's sleeping when we put her down. She always goes to bed awake, we use the Homedics Sound Spa Lullaby Relaxation Machine (Target), here's the link: http://www.target.com/Homedics-Sound-Lullaby-Relaxation-Machine/dp/B000QTSW64

I also bought it yesterday for a friends babyshower, and only paid $19.99, not the $30.50 that's advertised (but that's beside the point). Also for my DD she goes down much faster with out any lights. I would continue to give her the bottle, I weaned my DD at 15 months, but I would tackle one issue at a time. We did cry it out, I check on her every 10 min, and never go past 30 min. She's now 18 months, in a toddler bed, no bottle, goes bed wonderfully. I will not start the bottle habit with my 2nd baby (I'm 7 weeks pregnant), but I weaned her a 13 months from nursing, and kind of felt bad because she always nursed before be
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 10:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Sorry... the Ferber method is letting them self soothe. And I didn't mean to imply that I let a 2 week old baby do that. LOL She started sleeping through the night at 2 weeks. If you know your baby is okay (not hungry, thirsty, wet, or hurt) it's okay to leave them them there. They shouldn't cry until they're sick, and you're not supposed to leave them there screaming unattended. Maybe it wasn't TOTALLY the Ferber method, but it was close. We checked on her often, laid her back down (she was usually standing up in her crib) and told her to go to sleep. Eventually, she would. When we moved her to a "big girl" bed, we simply told her to stay in her bed, and go to sleep. She'd already been sleeping alone in her own bed for months by that time, so this wasn't an issue...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 2:39 PM on May. 22, 2011