what do you do when your so/dh isnt home all night?

what do you do when your home alone with the kids?

I hate being home alone with the kids....i feel like i'm being watched or someone is going to break in. I live in a half/double so we can't put and alarm or anything.

DH is gone for the night with work. He has been gone since this morning. During the day it's ok, its night time that i freak out.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Relationships

• Get a big dog! Get a breed that is protective but good with kids.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• can't have pets :( already asked our landlady, she is a vet too!
    Anonymous

• put a sign up that says "beware of dog" anyway!
    Anonymous

• Between the dog, shot gun and attack 2 year old, i don't worry too much, lol. My DH does a 10 week rotation of night and 10 week rotation of days, so I know what it's like to be home alone at night. I'm thankful to live in a neighborhood called "Cop hill" because of all the law enforcement (my DH included) that live near by.

A couple of suggestions, take a self-defense class and if you're not opposed to owning a gun, take some gun safety courses and get proficient with a gun. A large dog will help ease your worry as well. We have a lab and I feel much safer with her around, because I know she will protect us or at least give a warning bark.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Girl I am in the same boat that you are in. I hate to be here with the kids alone at night. I dont have a dog, or a gun, or alarm system, I never sleep, I am up constantly at night and leave at least two lights on a night. I have thought about getting a gun but am scared to have it in the house with my kids. I dont go to bed I sleep on the couch so that I am closer to the doors to here if something is up. I love when he is back home, I sleep so good. Think about getting a gun you might feel more safe if you have something to protect yourself. good luck.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 7:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• You could get one of those signs that people who have alarms put up outside, like ADT or whatever. There are also fake cameras that you can buy to set up outside, that look like security cameras.
    Honestly though, I'd be happy if my husband was gone all night. At work. LOL.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I'm alone with my kids all the time. My husband is in the military and is on an unaccompanied tour overseas. Until 2010.

I have a ritual every night. The kids go to bed, I turn on the front porch light, lock the garage, lock the car in the driveway, lock the front door and just do a quick walk through my house. I then make a cup of herbal tea and read for an hour. I also sleep with a baseball bat next to my bedroom door. Security. LOL

My nearest neighbors know that my husband is away and they watch out for us. If you're afraid, make sure you have a phone in your bedroom and perhaps take a self-defense class. I also have an alarm sign.
    SkyeGirl

Answer by SkyeGirl at 8:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• WOW 2010.....DH is going for 410 days....not near as long as yours...

to top it off we are moving while dh is overseas...better for us financially...
    Anonymous

• I've never been afraid to be home alone. My mom was home alone a lot with us growing up, and so I guess she instilled confidence that I continue to have.
    Do you live in a dangerous place?
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2008