Has anyone ever takein parenting classes?

so me an my dh have decided that we should go to parenting classes for better ways to disapline our dd whos 3...has anyone ever went to any of these and did they help? and how did they help you??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I haven't gone to any, but I have bought/read numerous parenting books. There are just so many philosophies out there from one extreme to the other. And, one method that works for one family may not work for another. If you can get DH to go to a class, then the more power to you! Some of the more helpful books I have read are : Screamfree Parenting and How to Talk so you Kids will Listen and Listen so your Kids will Talk.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 11:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I took a year of childhood development and family relations in high school, I loved it. And now with my son even though I took those classes four years ago I remember alot and still use everything. I think it's a good idea. I had fun with it. :)
    BraydinsMommy09

Answer by BraydinsMommy09 at 11:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I had to when I went to a school for teen moms and then when she was 3 I went to a parents anonymous group to figure out how to be a better more calm parent and there is nothing wrong with going out and seeking ways to better yourself as a parent
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:47 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The best book I read "how to behave, so your children will. Too"
    Its worked on all three of my kids. Started when my oldest was 5.
    I've heard that the love and logic class is good but a friend told me you had to pay your kids, then if they messed up, they had to pay you back. I couldn't do that cuz I didn't have $20 a peice to give my kids each week. And what happens if they run out of money, my kids have never been that. Into $
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I wonder why all the books on parenting are about managing the day-to-day tasks of mothering. Yet some of the best books for moms (and classes too) really are general leadership books. After all, we are leaders first and foremost. So, I recommend taking a leadership class and applying that to motherhood. Sure, read about the basics of managing toilet training and such. But don't neglect your most important job: to inspire and empower our children, and provide a setting where they can thrive as they are meant to.

Renee
    Check out our cafemom group Mother as Leader: www.cafemom.com/group/motherasleader
    Reneek1973

Answer by Reneek1973 at 9:23 AM on May. 22, 2011

• No. But I taught them and teach parents one on one for a living. I like it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:53 PM on May. 22, 2011