What does "blessed" mean to you?

I hear so many people saying it, primarily low income Americans, and want to know what does this term mean to them and how come it has become such a popular saying.

I noticed in middle class America I do not hear people say that...what is the reasoning for it? Is it the less you have the closer you are to God???

***I am only commenting on what I have seen in the areas I have been in. I am not knocking anyone. I just want to gain more knowledge.***

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 11:37 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• "blessed" to me is something I don't generally like to use. I just say "thankful" and that is it. I am thankful for a lot of things my life. I wouldn't say I was blessed with these things because I earned them on my own through hard work and sweat. No one did it but me
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:41 PM on May. 22, 2011

• its b/c the lower income families are thankful for the little they do have and the higher up classes dont go with out as much so they dont stop to think about how lucky/ blessed they are that they have what they do!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 11:42 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with the above, myboysrmyhero.. couldn't have said it better myself.
    I feel blessed that we have a home, vehical, enough food, we're healthy. I have a decent job, etc..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with myboysRmyhero! I am grateful for all I have too! I also say blessed also. I want to note 2 things, First it is not a lower income thing to say! It is that we appreciate all we have and we r not stuck up snobs thinking we r better then everybody else! Second is,it is not a black thing to say it! It is the right thing to say and it is thoughtful!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:11 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Blessed to me is just another way of saying extremely grateful/thankful for what I have or what my family has.
    Those who have never had to go without or hit really hard times tend to not use that phrase cuz they dont think about it as often. Ive observed that those with tend to use the phrase/word "lucky" more than thankful or blessed.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:18 AM on May. 22, 2011

• That things could always be worse. Even though we are poor, can barley make it, can't pay all our bills and DH and I do not make much at our jobs, but I'm just thankful we both have jobs, thankful we have a roof over our head (may not be the nicest home, but its a home), clothes on our body, food in our stomachs, and a healthy child. So, I feel blessed!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:27 AM on May. 22, 2011

• To me it's not about the physical things, it's about the people. We are blessed because we have those around us who love us. Our children, parents, friends, neighbors and co workers. To know that God has put people around us that will help if needed and we can help back if needed.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:18 AM on May. 22, 2011

• It's interesting that you have noticed that. You may be right. We just recently started having a second income after I graduated college and started working, but we have been low income for so long that I do know what it's like to be hungry, homeless, etc. I am blessed because God takes care of my every need. We may not have a lot by American standards, but we have enough. We have so much more than most of the people in the world. Even if we did not have our needs met, I am blessed because God made a way by sending His Son to be the paschal sacrifice, the Victim-Priest who gave His life so that I could have eternal fellowship with God. What more could I want?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:10 PM on May. 22, 2011

• What it means to me is 'fortunate' or 'lucky' or 'thankful.' I'm blessed with my three wonderful children- meaning I appreciate them, I am thankful that I have them, and I realize how lucky and fortunate I am to have them here after struggling with infertility and losing my first baby at 11 weeks of pregnancy.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:31 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Yeah it has become a habit for some/most. I love the personal definitions :)
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:50 AM on May. 22, 2011