Is it illegal to try and sell, exchange a gift card for money? trying to sell a southwest gift card.

The thing is that I had purchased a $250 gift card from South West a few months back, just in case of an emergency that and I would have would have to fly to Cal to see my famlily back in california. I just got of the phone with my mom though I had no idea she was going thru such hard times. She told me that she had $6 left which she used to buy a rotisserie chicken for her and my younger brothers for dinner... and she is oweing 600 on rent. I have no money myself or I would send her some... I just remembered that I had that gift card sitting on my email (i bought it online and sent it to myself thru email)
My question is, is it illegal for me to try and sell it or exchange it for the amount on the card...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Travel

• I am interested. PM me.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:52 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Maybe you can offer it to someone you know personally that travels alot or planning a travel. I have no idea if that is legal or not. Try calling southwest and see if they can 'return/refund'
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:04 AM on May. 22, 2011

• You should be able to sell it for the price you bought it for, as long as you are legit and it has that money on the card
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 6:23 PM on May. 22, 2011

• private sales i beleive are aloud...I dont know if southwest could refund the money to you though because it;s a gift card and not an actual ticket.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:36 AM on May. 23, 2011

• There are sites that do exactly as you want but I don't think you get the whole value of the card.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:02 AM on May. 24, 2011

• yes you can sell it....there are some gift card purchase sites (sorry cant think of the name)....or you can list it on craigslist (i see gift cards for sale all the time)......sorry about you mom, can she get help from the hra office?.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:57 AM on May. 24, 2011