Is it illegal to try and sell, exchange a gift card for money? (posted on the "travel" category as well)

Is it illegal to try and sell, exchange a gift card for money? trying to sell a southwest gift card.
The thing is that I had purchased a $250 gift card from South West a few months back, just in case of an emergency that and I would have would have to fly to Cal to see my famlily back in california. I just got of the phone with my mom though I had no idea she was going thru such hard times. She told me that she had $6 left which she used to buy a rotisserie chicken for her and my younger brothers for dinner... and she is oweing 600 on rent. I have no money myself or I would send her some... I just remembered that I had that gift card sitting on my email (i bought it online and sent it to myself thru email)
My question is, is it illegal for me to try and sell it or exchange it for the amount on the card...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• People do it all the time. IDK if it's illegal or not, but see post for buying gift cards all the time on craigslist, especially right after christmas.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:56 PM on May. 21, 2011

• You can sell it on eBay! I see that stuff all the time. Also, as mentioned above, Craigslist.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:59 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It depends on the terms and conditions from SW. Do they allow it to be transferred?
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 12:07 AM on May. 22, 2011

• There is actually a site that buys all sorts of gift cards. Try googling it.I can't remember what it is but they featured it on Good Morning America a while back so it can't be illegal

Answer by admckenzie at 12:07 AM on May. 22, 2011

• It's not illegal. I would try craigslist first because it would probably get the fastest response. Then there is also plasticjungle.com
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 3:02 AM on May. 22, 2011

• not illegal at all. Ebay is a good place to do it.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:35 AM on May. 22, 2011

• It is not illegal ... nothing about it is in your name only, is it?. In fact, Ebay, at any given time, has tons of gift cards listed from people who either don't use them or would prefer cash.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I doubt it. Why would it be anyways? It's basically store credit. You paid Southwest $250 to use on whatever you like at another time. Put it on Craigslist. You might be able to find a buyer. But I would think you would get $200 or so for it only.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 7:20 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I sold it on craigslist! thanks girls!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:41 PM on May. 27, 2011