What would you do?

After spending some time with my nephew I am starting to think he may be autistic. I don't think my sister sees it. I was wondering if you were me would you say something to her or let it go. He is about 19 months, he clearly shows about 90 precent of the signs and I know the earlier it is detected the better the outcome. I just don't want to hurt my sisters feelings or have her get mad at me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i know it seems like its hard to confront your sister with this and honestly i dont know what i would do if I was in your situation but you have to think of your nephew. early intervention is KEY with autisim. the sooner he is diagnosed the sooner he can get help over coming it. I think you need to gather some info and sit down with your sister and just say Hey dont want to be totally rude, maybe I'm off base but i was reading about autism the other day and it really made me thing of (your nephew) what do you think? this is the info I have.
    that kind of a thing. its scary to try and confront someone with that, for you and them but you both just need to focus on whats best for your nephew if he is autistic.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:20 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I agree with Elsa that early intervention is very important. Just talk to your sister and tell her that you are noticing certain things that may mean that it might be a good idea for her to take your nephew to the pediatrician. Tell her that it was hard for you to have this conversation with her, but you are only doing it because you love her and her son very much. My SIL had to have this conversation with her sister too. I wish you all the best.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 3:29 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Your sister's feelings are temporary.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 9:43 AM on May. 22, 2011