Are you friends with your kids on facebook

and do you go through their friends list from time to time just to keep an eye on them...and if they have a friend you don't ike do you bring it up?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:21 AM on May. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yep. Have been since they got on FB 2 years ago.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:25 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes, I am. I also have my kids fb passwords and I will get on their pages and check stuff, and delete anything that I do not think is appropriate.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:11 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes. I'm also friends with several of their friends (the teens sent me the invite, not the other way around). I'm also friends with a lot of the parents of these kids (in real life and on facebook), and my kids have several of those parents as friends on their pages, too.

A big reason for this is for pictures - our kids and most of their friends have their settings so friends only can see them (which is how we prefer it), but this way, say, if my kids and their buddies are doing something and one of them has pictures up on their facebook from it, we (all the parents of the kids involved) can see them, too - and same for the pictures we take of their stuff...

Plus - having us as a friend on facebook was one of the requirements of them being allowed to have a facebook page (of course, we know they can block us, etc. but...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:56 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes and they invited me and some of their friends have invited me. No surprises, my kids tell me most everything anyways so I don't feel the need to check up on them.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:24 AM on May. 22, 2011

• No she is only 3, but I had a real problem having kids on my facebook, basically because they can see all the adult content on my page and others post on their pages etc........then my nieces and nephews started adding me and we are long distance so I hated not accepting them, I looked into it and I can block them from alot of the content, who writes on my wall etc because I can see things people that are not even on my list say and alot of it isnt appropriate.......so I am really vigilant about it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:38 AM on May. 22, 2011

• yesss
    chocolategurl

Answer by chocolategurl at 3:46 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I just recently let my 13 year old get one. Yes, I am friends with them, so I can watch everything.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:08 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes and if they are not family or close friends then I have to approve the person being added not them.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:24 AM on May. 22, 2011

• It is a must if you want to be able to protect your children if need be. We were invited to have a booth at the 5th annual missing childrens days yesterday by the GBI. Everyone law agency imagineable was participating. To listen to them share the nightmares, there would be no doubt in your mind as to what you should do.
    dukester050128

Answer by dukester050128 at 9:33 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My kids don't have facebook. My oldest is only going on 11 and is too young and has no need to even be on the computer.
    I don't friend kids because then I have to watch what I say on there. I wouldn't allow them to be friends with their older relatives either. They write explicit stuff that I wouldn't want the kids reading. They'd have to be in high school before they get facebook.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:24 AM on May. 22, 2011