Do you know anyone who is very wealthy but they live so cheaply you would never know it?

I do know a few people like this...you would think they are living paycheck to paycheck but really have a big chunk of money in the bank

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 3:14 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yes I know a few, but to look at them you would never know. I think it great they don't let money go to thier head.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:20 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes, I do. That's why they have the money they have, because they are frugal with it. They are "self made" in that they weren't born with money - they have worked and saved for everything they have. The couple that comes to mind does a lot with their money though (mostly charity) - they just do it quietly. In fact, the only reason we know is because they are close relatives.

(lol - and no, it's not my dh and I - we don't have anywhere near that kind of money lol).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:21 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Isn't that how they save so much money, but living cheaply? I know a few people, who have a lot more money than we do, but their kids wear hand me downs and boy do they love it when I treat them to a $4-5 coffee or smoothie... like they've just won the lottery.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 3:22 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I do know of a few people like that. Actually one of our customers just passed away, he was 85. He looked like any old man, drove a beater car and left a million dollars to various schoos, churches and local hospital. Pretty awesome! Just goes to show, you never know who you're talking to.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 3:21 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes.

Our mechanic in town is extremely wealthy. You would never know it from his appearance, career choice, or lifestyle.
    dream-catcher

Answer by dream-catcher at 4:08 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I was thinking about a guy I know who now owns his dad's company that makes millions per year even after employee wages and overhead costs....he makes his wife work as well and yet they live in a simple house and live a simple life. it was his dad that gave his a good standing business and he kept it going.

another guy I know his dad created the DISC personality test and he created a few himself and he lives like he is poor, even though his dad died and left him a good fortune he still acts like he is broke
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 3:43 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes - my grandma was born during the depression, and so she's... frugal. She's retired from 2 jobs, one being the post office (major pension benefits) and until a year ago still worked full-time. If it weren't for her hips falling apart, she would still be folding clothes in the men's department at Hamrick's. God forbid you ask her for $20, though.... it's the end of the world!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 8:23 AM on May. 22, 2011

• That's how they end up with a lot of money?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:30 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My MIL/FIL. They had money, but they looked like they just crawled out of a Salvation Army thrift store. They lived on a very tight budget. They didn't indulge in any extravagant anything. They have both died in the past 2 years. The estate was worth just under $1 million and they wouldn't turn on the lights because it cost too much. They wanted everything to go to their 5 children. They could have lived a little less restricted and still left something to their children. Then, the only daughter died 1 week before her father. She never got what they scrimped and saved for her to have.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:52 AM on May. 22, 2011