Atkins- low carb diet as good choice of diet???

Im 5' 7" and currently weigh 245. I have always been on the heavier side, and always wanted to lose weight and get into shape, but have never been able to let go of all the foods I love to indulge on (anything with carbs in it). My sister in law has tried the Atkins diet and found that she was very successful doing it. Im wanting to give it a shot, but need to know what others think of it. It is going to be very hard for me to let go of late night eating, and soda drinking, and no pasta eating. Has anyone tried this diet and found it effective, and how long were you on it until you reached your goal weight? January 2011, I topped the scale at 267 and have managed to lose 22 pounds and keep it off on my own but I cant seem to let go of my terrible eating habits! My goal is to have a healthy BMI and be a healthy and ideal weight meaning I still have about 75 pounds to lose...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Diets and diet aids (if they even work) are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight & will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster - frustrating for you & hard on your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Start moving; do some sort of exercise, even walking, for at least 20 min a day, at least three times a week. Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits & vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes every day. You will lose weight. You will have more energy. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 AM on May. 22, 2011

• And eat 1/2 pound of non starchy vegetables every day

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 AM on May. 22, 2011

• The Carbohydrate's Addict Diet is a better choice though both will work for individual's who are protein types - have you ever done nutritional typing?. I did lo-carb, lost 75 pounds easily, and have been the healthiest I've ever been. Don't buy into the food pyramid (was designed to help farmers, not for health) or that the only way to eat is lo-fat, high carb, this country has been doing that for way too many years and we are the heaviest and unhealthiest we've ever been.

Rkoloms answer is deadly for some. I did the whole grain, lo-fat diet under a doctor's care, never cheated once, exercised 6 times a week and gained weight (fat, not muscle). I started reading up on hyperinsulinemia (no, not diabetic but eating in that manner messes up your insulin levels, causing weight gain and extreme hunger), switched to a healthy, lo-carb diet, cut the cravings (honestly, I forget to eat) and shed the weight. Go for it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I have recently begun my quest for being healthier and weight loss. When I say 'health' I don' t mean I was sickly as I am hardly every sick, but I know that I am at risk for things to happen and I wanted to curb that. I've been doing what I have been doing for a week and a half now and so far so good. I'm down 10 pounds already.

One thing that is helping me is I am using a website called Sparkpeople.   This website give you target goals for how many calories you eat, carb, fats, etc.  It also offers menus, message boards, and other forms of support. 

I, too, am a carb addict, but I have been going great and my success so far has encouraged me to keep on going.  I wish you that same!

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:19 AM on May. 22, 2011

• The Atkins diet is not a diet, it's more of a lifestyle choice. It works in phases and isn't right for some, but for others it's great. If you decide to try it and it does work for you and you feel healthy during the switch then it could very well be for you. I've known many people who have lost weight and maintained it via Atkins. It's not no carb, it's low carb and eventually you'll reach a phase where good healthy carbs will be reintroduced into your diet. Exercise is essential with any weight loss goals, and walking is one of the best ways to start. Try walking for 20 minutes a day, then build up to 30, then 40, then try other exercises. Good luck with your goal!
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 11:22 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I am not a fan of Atkins.. I had an aunt that went on it & she would eat a plateful of just bacon. How is that healthy?! They also say once you go off the diet you will have issues with putting the weight back on plus more.
    If you want to live a healthy life fad diets are not going to help. Make small changes..
    You dont have to cut anything out. Just alot less of the bad stuff. Drink a glass of water before eating.. Instead of meat/bread being the largest portion on ur plate. make the largest portion a salad/veggie...eat slowly. chew your food. and STOP EATING before you feel full-stuffed... Rate your fullness on a scale of 1 (hungry)- 10 (stuffed)... when u get to be about 7-8 stop eating..
    Get more active! Put a stationary bike in ur bedroom/livingroom. or tell urself if the tv is on u will NOT sit down -- watch TV while walking in place & moving ur arms with light weights.
    small changes! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:35 AM on May. 22, 2011

• MommaTasha, Atkins doesn't really promote sitting down and eating just bacon, some people don't follow it properly. You're supposed to have LEAN meats and veggies during the first phases, then later on good healthy carbs are allowed. It works in stages and it does work if your body accepts it and you follow it correctly.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 12:45 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You can change your lifestyle without total restriction of specific food groups. Cut out pasta, refined sugar, white potatoes, and bread for 2 weeks. Only eat brown rice and sweet potatoes as your "starch". I think you will be amazed at the changed with little restriction. After 2 weeks add 1/2 c of whole wheat pasta into your weekly menu. All while maintaining 1400'calories. It's an easy lifestyle change that can benefit the whole family
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:01 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I couldn't do the atkins diet. I couldn't let go of my carbs. So i chose weight watchers and have been having great results with that. I do also take phentermine a prescription appetite suppresant but i have learned how to eat using weight watchers. But i have know people that did the atkins and lost there weight very quickly.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 5:33 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Well I am currently doing low carb diet. I have about 50 pounds to lose. I have done low carb/no carb in the past and lost a tremendous amount of weight..but after having kids..its backkk. LOL
    Anyways on low carb... I lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks and my clothes are fitting nicer & easier LOL. However..went out with the kids..ate breaded chicken & chicken tenders and regained 3 pounds. I swear. I did try weight watchers momentum..and lost about 18 pounds in 3 months. Its all about the same in the end.. I am considering going back to WW on my own.. I just dont know..everyone I know is on low carb..including my DH which makes it easier to fix dinner for.. I just dont see myself sticking to this diet. I do take a multi-vitamin though.
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 12:26 AM on May. 25, 2011