Shopping tip needed - 6th Grade Girl

My soon to be sixth grader no longer likes the clothes at Justice, she says the Gap is too frilly. Department stores have a boring selection.

Where do you shop with your sixth graders for cool, in style, non-provocative clothes? I see too many developing girls wearing tight shirts these days. My daughter is willing to wear loose tops. Is there a store that caters to hip and modest youngsters?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 3:52 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Old Navy
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:53 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I have 3 girls and a step daughter and we would just go to the mall and play it by ear or go to the internet and find stuff on certain websites... it is tough I know!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:57 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Go to the mall. You'll probably have better selection.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:39 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I'd just go to the mall and check out some of the smaller stores. My sixth grader liked a store called "The Rave" but they closed their mall store awhile back. She also likes Papaya and Hot Topic. (Hot Topic does have some stuff that's a bit on the "out there" side but she really likes their Tee's and jeans) A Kohl's recently opened near us & while it's a dept. store, she does like a lot of their things. Course I don't know if any of these are where you live.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:03 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My daughter is in 8th grade now and her favorite stores are American Eagle, Forever 21, and Pac Sun. I don't know the size of your daughter, but they might have extra smalls if she is tiny. When my daughter was in 6th grade the popular store was Aeropostle. At this age they usually like to wear what everyone else wears. My daughter likes the loose flowy tops with skinny jeans. I would try Forever 21. You can look around online with her prior to shopping . Make sure she knows that you have veto power over all clothes purchased. If she doesn't love it don't buy because she won't wear it. Happy shopping ... oh and bring your patience you will need them.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 8:31 AM on May. 22, 2011

• jcm - good tips. I hate the prices at American Eagle; I used to shop for our nieces and nephews there. Old Navy is definitely worth a try. I will also check out Forever 21; my niece shops there. My daughter is a size 12. She looks great in skinny jeans (she's got one pair).
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 10:48 AM on May. 22, 2011

• areopostal is good and has pretty conservative clothing
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:43 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Thanks all. We went shopping today and she was able to find shorts at Old Navy and shirts at Aeropostal.
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 7:14 PM on May. 22, 2011