Skin infections and breastfeeding...

I am a stupid, horrible mother. Let's just start off with that, because I'm quite aware.

I am currently breastfeeding my baby.

I have been gauging my ears out *very* slowly for a few years now.
I did it once while I was pregnant, and again a few days ago. I didn't even think about it, it's just something I'd been doing. It doesn't involve needles, so I didn't think of it as dangerous. (Yes, I know, I win mother of the year.)

This time is the first time I am having pain and inflammation in my earlobes. I have been cleaning them with hydrogen peroxide, but I want to know if there is a risk of passing infection to my baby while I'm nursing.

Please don't be too mean. I am already sick with guilt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Don't be so hard on yourself!!
    I don't really know, but I know everything can be passed on when breastfeeding. I would check your doctor or even a Pharmacist. Also WebMD might be able to help.
    You are hardly the worst mom...
    Calm down and Breathe!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 6:34 AM on May. 22, 2011

• You are NOT a bad mother first off.
    Second many women will develop one kind of infection or another during the time they are breast feeding. If it is getting bad then for your sake go get it checked out and make sure the Dr is aware you are BF just in case he prescribes anything. If a woman can safely BF through a breast infection I think one in you ear should be fine. No worries, just get it checked out. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:38 AM on May. 22, 2011

• First, your not a bad mother. Gauging your ears is perfectly fine while breastfeeding. No you cannot pass the infection to your baby. You may even try applying breast milk to your ear. Woman have been using breast milk to clear up infections for a very long time. Everything from pink eye, to skin rashes.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:49 AM on May. 22, 2011

• You're all making a lot of sense lol. Thank you! I just totally panicked.I use breastmilk on everything, I don't know why I didn't think to put it on my ears. Good idea. They are healing up well so far, so it doesn't look like too much of a crisis like I thought.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 PM on May. 22, 2011

• you are NOT a bad mother, iv stretched my ears 3 times already and im only 28 weeks pregnant, im probably gonna stretch one more time after my sons born and ill be breast feeding to....your ears are probably just getting to their limit of how stretchy they are.....mine always get red, warm, and swollen when i stretch mine they always calm down after a couple hours
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 2:52 PM on May. 22, 2011

• No, you can't pass infection in your earlobe to your baby by bf'ing. Actually, breastmilk has antibacterial properties so it might not hurt you to rub a little on your ear!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:20 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I got the idea because of tattoos. They say not to get tattoos while BF because of risk of infection. I know the main concern would be HIV or Hepatitis, but the risk is not very high for that, and they aren't only talking about contagious disease.
    I'm trying to figure out what the connection is between skin infections and breastfeeding. They say never break the skin for risk of infection, but you're saying you can't pass it to baby... Does it just have to do with your level of health while breastfeeding??? I'm a little confused.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:58 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Oh my....are you putting those big holes in your earlobes? WHY? They are so hard to look at. The first time I saw a kid with the big old holes in his lobes, I felt queasy in my stomach.I can't imagine having that huge hole and the thingy in my earlobes. Someday you will wonder why you did it and you will want to take them out but you will have a big old floppy hole in your earlobes. Oh man...I am always amazed......
    Good luck.....
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

• minnesotanice, stop trolling. If you don't have anything to contribute to the question, then don't type anything. I am allowed to do whatever I want with my own body, as you are with yours. The question was not "should I have gauged my ears?" Get a life.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) 2 hours ago
    .-------------------------
    If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions. Simple as that.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:08 AM on May. 23, 2011