How much privacy should a kid have?

Do you think that a parent has the right to have their kids passwords on the computer, go through their texts on their phone, and look through their room?

Jenn5142

Asked by Jenn5142 at 8:01 AM on May. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes. As long as they are minors in my home it is my job to keep them safe and make sure they are learning to make wise choices. My kids are still little but just like my mom I will have the right to search anything I want with probably cause and them with me. I would never go snooping behind their backs but If I think there is a reason to check their room then as soon as they step in the house next they will be escorting me to it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:32 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes. To all. Kids do not get adult privacy in my house.

Answer by louise2 at 8:40 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I have my dd's passwords and I will continue to have them and as far as privacy I try to give them theirs but if for any reason I think anything is up then I step in.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:01 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I think it depends on the kid. You have to think about their age, maturity level, responsibility level, etc.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:09 AM on May. 22, 2011

• They have privacy as far as bathing and dressing. I will (like I did with my oldest two) search their rooms and read papers etc in an attempt to be in the know. When they get old enough I will install a computer program where I can track where they go and what they say. At least I'll know what I can from our home computer. If I'm paying their cell bill - I have all the rights in the world to gather whatever information I want. The world is a scary place I'll do everything I can to keep them out of harms way for as long as I can.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:14 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I think parents do have a right. My dd does not have much privacy & i like it that way. If a teen wants privacy (other than the obvious) then there is something going on that they don't want their parents knowing about.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:17 AM on May. 22, 2011

• We were invited to set up a booth yesterday at the 5th annual missing children's event, hosted by the GBI and every law agency imaginable was there. They had so much for the kids, one being the fingerprint kits and we had the web and cell safety BUT it was so overwhelming listening to the stories and the dangers that our children face. We all know it is there but ....wow. Do KIDS have the RIGHT? No way.....go to an event like yesterday and you will have your answer. Ask yourself what is the possible alternative.
    dukester050128

Answer by dukester050128 at 9:18 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I think it is important to consider your overall motivations and interests. Are you doing this for safety or curiousity? If it is safety, then it makes sense. But for curiousity, perhaps consider how else you can increase communication with your child.

In the end, consider not just the overall action, but your greater goal as a mom: to be their leader. Here, you want to build a strong family, and a space where your child feels "at home." You likely want to build a strong, lasting relationship with your child so they come to you in times of need. And you want to empower your child to greatness. How can you best do that?

Renee
    www.cafemom.com/groups/motherasleader
    Reneek1973

Answer by Reneek1973 at 9:27 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Depends on the age. I would say under 14 yes. Over 15 no. Over 15 we have to start letting go and allowing them to make choices and mistakes. That way once they are 18 and move we dont have to worry about if they will fall on their face or go crazy with their new freedom.

Answer by gemgem at 9:39 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Do you think that a parent has the right to have their kids passwords on the computer It is my comouter, I reserve the right to check up on peole using it. My child doesn't want to lie to me and create two accounts to hide stuff from me, then they will have NO computer privelidges. go through their texts on their phone My child will not have a cell phone until they can pay for it themselves and put it in their name. and look through their room If it comes in my house I can look through it, "their room" is not THEIRS unless they intend on paying rent, it is mine, they just sleep there.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:48 AM on May. 22, 2011