Head up at 28 weeks?

So I finally got an ultrasound and the tech said the baby was head up. My biggest fear is having a c-section what are the chances the baby will turn head down? I'm really really scared and freaked out HELP!!!!!!!!

crying

timbrikaylamom

Asked by timbrikaylamom at 8:19 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• * Who you hire for your maternity care can be your biggest risk factor.

Only some kinds of providers (like surgeons) will be untrained-inexperienced with normal breech delivery. But other providers will save cesareans for an emergency.
    It is important that you hire the Right One for you if you don't want an unnecessary cesarean.

At this gestation many babies are breech, they move back & forth a lot, too.
    If you want to coax baby
    s head down as it gets heavier with gravity pulling it low there are some tips.
    (exercises, moxibustion, pulsatilla, Webster Technique)

If you find yourself within the due period (38-42 weeks) with a breech baby also keep in mind that pre & early labor contractions are helpful to move baby into position, too.

At this point you sound pretty normal.
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:39 PM on May. 22, 2011

• That just means the baby has not turned yet.(You are only 7 months).The baby will turn, then drop before you go into labor. Theis must be your first pregnancy?

Answer by louise2 at 8:36 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My son was head up for my entire last pregnancy :) They ended up doing a "version", where they actually flip the baby over from outside your body. It was very quick, but quite painful, as I had two doctors pressing on my stomach to move the baby over. But it worked! We had a vaginal birth and everything went very well. It took a few weeks for the bruises on my stomach to go away, though. My poor husband nearly fainted while they were doing it, it was so cruel looking. But I totally didn't care!! I was so happy it worked and we had a regular birth, I would have done it ten times over. Good luck, and don't worry! It usually takes a while for them to flip, my son just wasn't going to on his own ( wonder what he'll be like as a teen?).
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:43 AM on May. 22, 2011

• www.spinningbabies.com

That web site has tons of ways to help baby turn. It's never too early. But you have nothing to worry about right now.

The other thing is that not all breech positions require a C-section. Many are safe for vaginal birth, you would just have to search around for a provider who would not try to pressure you into a C-section for it. That can be difficult to find in smaller areas, but if you have a teaching hospital close by, they are usually more accommodating. Also, in some states home birth midwives are able to legally attend breech home births and in the states it's not legal you can find an underground midwife who would do it for you.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:24 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Oh, and if you don't want a C-section, they can't force you to have one. If your baby is in a safe breech position, you can go into the hospital in labor and refuse to sign the C-section consent forms. DO NOT sign anything without reading it carefully! They sometimes throw in a blanket consent form when you preregister at the hospital, or at the doctor's office. Scheduling a C-section for a breech baby is ridiculous, too, because babies can turn even during labor, and babies who are born via C-section do much better and have fewer breathing problems if mom was in labor prior to the surgery.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:28 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My first didn't turn until 35-ish weeks.

A friend of mine had to be induced at 36 weeks (medical reasons), and they successfully turned her baby via external version prior to administering meds.

You've got plenty of times.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:41 AM on May. 22, 2011

• None of mine turned till my 9th month. Although I 've never had a c-section, many of my friends have. It really isn't anything to be afraid of. Try to spend your time thinking postive thoughts and enjoying your pregnancy.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:46 AM on May. 22, 2011

• special, C-sections are absolutely something to be afraid of. They are major abdominal surgery, and they carry 4 times the mortality rate of vaginal birth.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:07 AM on May. 22, 2011

• The baby has time to turn. My 4th baby was head up until I was 37 weeks. In fact at my 37 week appointment they said he had one week to turn on his own or they would schedule me for c-section. He turned in that week sometime and I had him at 39 weeks.

Answer by gemgem at 11:12 AM on May. 22, 2011

• There is NO need for concern. THat is still REALLY early. My kids didn't turn until the very end - maybe after 35 weeks? Some babies turn RIGHT before going into labor and I know several moms who had their babies turn AS they were in labor!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:40 AM on May. 22, 2011