Could this be an allergic reaction?

In the last hour, my 8 month old has gotten red in the face. It's across both cheeks, his upper lip and chin. It looks a lot like sunburn, but patchy some how.

cedailey

Asked by cedailey at 7:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, it's an allergy

my daughter is allergic to eggs and shellfish, that's pretty much what happens with her. she gets red spots around her lips, and face.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• It very possibly could be. Has he had shots done in the last few days? I believe you can get some infant tylenol and that should and if you can find infant bynodril keep some on hand.
    joni574

Answer by joni574 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• No shots, but he did get a finger in his sister's shrimp salad about three hours ago. Unfortunately, we are allergic to benadryl (ironic?)
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 7:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• im sorry well the could be allergic to the shrimp. Keep a close eye on him and if the rash gets worse or he starts acting different like he's starting to have difficulty breathing or his skin starts to show welts get him to the dr or er
    joni574

Answer by joni574 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• if he stuck his finger in the salad, it could also be something in the dressing. eggs are in dressings.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• yes, it could definitely be an allergic reaction.
    & i agree with joni574. i would look out for signs of labored or trouble breathing.

i'm pretty sure my 6 month old had an allergic reaction a few days ago...
    someone let her "taste" some eggs after i told her not to because kids can be highly allergic to them.
    and she had the same symptoms you listed for your child.
    it cleared up during the day... but now i'm hoping she isn't going to be allergic to eggs for life..

EVERYthing has eggs in it =\.

but if you start to hear your child "wheezing" or whatever sounds like trouble breathing i would definitely call 9-1-1 or something.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 10:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Well, while I was sitting around worrying about this pinkness, my middle daughter had a real allergic reaction (to what I don't know as she's nearly four and had NOTHING new today) and had to be air evaced. Dh is with her, and I'm waiting for news, while watching the boy like a crazed maniac for other symptoms. Thank you all for the advice/info.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• yes def could be i take him in to his PED.. and talk to her you might need to give him some kids benidril.. thats what we have to do..
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 11:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2008