Is it normal for a child with Autism not being able to attend church?

Good Morning Moms,
We have taken our son a couple of times and the church staff had approach us in the middle of the ceremony to ask us to take our son to the basement. We took him to the basement and he became very agitated. So now my dh will go by himself every sunday to church while the rest of the family stays home. I was wondering if other families with children with Autism are in the same situation? Will things get better? My family thinks my dh is cheating because he religiously goes to church every Sunday. I'm feeling down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I was asked not to bring my autistic sons to church because they were mildly disruptive. So easy choice for me was if they weren't welcome I wasn't welcome. I stopped going completely. There are sermons avaliable online. Explore your options. How they figure your DH is "cheating" when he goes to church is beyond me. At any rate you know the truth. try not to let it get you down. it does get better, but you need to make it routine. You need to take him out in public to teach him appropriate behavior. If they can't understand that then try a different place of worship.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:15 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I think that your staff needs to read their Bible more. We have autistic children in our church and we (all the church including the staff) cherish them as well as their parents. You should find a church who has teachers and staff who do that as well. Is there not a special ed teacher who could sit with your son in a room other than a basement during the service? I'm so sorry for you having to deal with this unkindness, not to mention your son as well. BTW, how old is your son?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:06 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I've never been in your situation, but I'm sorry. Maybe you should consider finding a Church with more tolerance. I've attended some where they pay no attention to what the kids are doing (especially those with special needs). They are out there,don't be afraid to call around and ask different churches how they feel/or would handle certain situations. Your family shouldn't have to forgo whorship just because the congregation you've tried is not understanding.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:10 AM on May. 22, 2011

• as the mom of a mentally ill child (not autistic) my son was not able to stay quiet and seated during our programs at our temple. I made the decision on my own to not take him. Why are the "rights" of my one child more important than all the rest of the people in the rooom? My husband and I either get a sitter for him (next to impossible because of his behaviour) or take turns going to church. We only take him if his outbursts will not be disruptive, such as an outdoor festival or picnic. Not fair to the rest of the people that come there to reflect and worship and it really isnt doing my son any good
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 9:21 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My son has autism and he has attended church with his grandma many times. Your church is discriminating against your child for something he cannot help. If I were you I would find a new church that will welcome and accept ALL of you.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:33 PM on May. 22, 2011

• My story:

When my son was 4, I was approached by a deacon in the church and told this "Maybe it's not a good idea to bring your son to church, but we want you to keep bringing him to Sunday School-we want that teacher to quit"

I left the church and I havent' been back since.

I have recently started going to church again. He is doing fine and the new church is so far very accepting.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:10 AM on May. 22, 2011

• It sounds like they dont have staff who is able to deal with a special needs child? You should call around to other churches and see if any of them are able to accommodate your family so you can go to church together.\
    And yes as a mother of a high functioning autistic son it does get better.

Answer by gemgem at 9:13 AM on May. 22, 2011

• No. We have an autistic child in our church (it's a small church, but this is the only one I know of), and we welcomed him, about 2 years ago! He was a little agitated the first few weeks, and he'd say things and act up, but now he's used to it and it's not so bad. He is also in the Sunday school class, and while his behavior is not always the same as that expected from the other kids, he definitely learns from it AND more importantly, everybody in the church learns from him. His family is quite a blessing.

The only thing I can imagine is, if a special needs child screamed through the entire service so nobody could follow it, that would be hard. But that doesn't sound like your situation. Some disruption is not only to be expected, but I think it's good.

We have like 2 staff and a few volunteer teachers, nobody special. But I think the pastor would have strong words with anyone who tried to kick a child to the basement.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:17 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My son is 9
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:24 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I should've said our son is 9. DH is the biological father.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:25 AM on May. 22, 2011