What baby items are a must have and what ones are over rated?

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 9:14 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I will say that the least used items in my house for my first 2 babies were the changing table (i used the one on our bassinet the first 2 months) but after the babies could roll over, I just changed them on the floor. I also think wipe warmers/bottle warmers were a waste because in reality, babies can not have cold milk/formula but the warmers are not necessary, I just put the bottle in a cup of warm water for 2 min. (taking the "chill" off). Must haves are: a car seat-a good one (with a head support that comes with), high chair, bottles (unless you're breast-feeding), diapers (stock up early) whether you are going cloth or disposables, a decent size diaper bag (with a changing pad), wipes-(unscented), layette-get as many 0-3 months as you can because these first 3 months there will be many outfit changes and the baby will grow quickly, stroller (preferably one that you can attach the ifant car seat to), & diaper rash cream!
    Wonderland12777

Answer by Wonderland12777 at 9:30 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Diaper genies are a total waste.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Must have- sling carrier. Car seat. clothes. blankets. There are a ton of things that are not necessary but nice to have like a crib. Playpen. Swing. Over rated? Diaper genie for sure! And the wipes warmers. the little hand mitten things. IME all they do is get wet and slobbery.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Must haves I would say obviously a crib, car seat, playpen, stroller, diapers, wipes, bottles, blankets, clothes.

Answer by gemgem at 9:19 AM on May. 22, 2011

• way overrated - changing table. It really is not a need and just takes up room. I loved my Moby. It really was a comfy wrap which allowed me to carry her and get cleaning etc done.
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 9:33 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Crib, diapers, wipes, clothes, blankets, bottles..... stroller or sling if you plan to go places without carts.
    momma_bear0911

Answer by momma_bear0911 at 9:35 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I can honestly say that I bought everything & I used it all except the Diaper Genie. That was a waste of money. I really used the wipes warmer every day since my baby was born in the winter, Dr. browns bottles are excellent, skip the bassinet & just use a pack & play, bottle sterilizer, LOTS of waterproof pads, Fabric diapers that I used as burp cloths**, sleep & plays with feet for at night with zippers, Swing, car seat, stroller, bouncer seat, blankets, diapers, Desitin, baby wash, socks, kimono side snap tops for newborns, onsies. I never had a moby wrap so that may be good too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 AM on May. 22, 2011

• diaper genies are stupid. i know i'd NEVER clean one out. just save your plastic bags from grocery shopping, throw the diaper in one, and toss it in the trash
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:31 AM on May. 22, 2011

• The microwave baby bottle sterilizer is a must-have. Those Dr. Brown bottles with the special vent in them to help with preventing gas bubbles are really good too. A waterproof pad for diaper changes will save you a lot of hassle later when the kid turns his/her downstairs into the Bellagio Fountains midway through the change. LOTS of onesies, my kids seem to go through two a day between leaky bottoms and urpy tops.
    Wastes of money include, little mittens to keep the kid from accidentally scratching him or herself and those velcro-fastened "swaddling" things.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:31 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Waste of money: changing table, wipes warmer, diaper geanie, videeo baby moniter, tons of bottles (if you breastfeed you only need a few for pumping and for others to feed with), dreft baby detergent, tons of newborn outfits, tons of "specialty" baby toys, crib bumpers and sleep positioners (they are both dangerous and suffocation hazards for babies), car seat cover, over priced diapers- store brand everything works great (cloth is even better and not hard!), baby shoes.

Worth buying: baby carrier (I used an Ergo but have heard good things about the Moby and Boba), boppy pillow, Madela breast pump (expensive but totally worth it), digital camera, travel system, tiny baby nail clippers,

This is all I can think of now. After taking a trip down memory lane I really want another baby:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:10 AM on May. 22, 2011