How do you get a child to stop some repetitive behavior?

my grandson loves to play with his trucks and cars as any little boy, but instead of playing with it like he should, he bangs it like it is on a bumpy road. He use to turn them over and spin the wheels, i wish he would start doing that again, it was quiter. lol. we have showed him how to play with it, but he wants to do his own thing.

shelbell210

Asked by shelbell210 at 9:27 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's a kid let him play! He's not hurting anything and its a learning process, dont stop his imagination!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:30 AM on May. 22, 2011

• i agree, but this will drive you crazy, do it in another room is fine, but he has to be where i am at. i dont mind noisy toys. i am the one who usually buys them. as hard as he hits it on our book shelf and table, it drowns out everything.
    shelbell210

Comment by shelbell210 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on May. 22, 2011

• At 3-4 years old, he should understand the appropriate uses for toys. Is it that he doesn't understand how it is meant to be used, or is he just a rowdy kid? If he doesn't seem to understand HOW to play with toys in a typical way, then I would be concerned. Things like spinning wheels, and repetitive banging are called Stemming Behavior in children with Autism. Check out the warning signs. If he's just being a normal rowdy kid, then just set some boundaries/expectations/consequences (ie. no banging cars on the furniture or you'll get time out).
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:47 AM on May. 22, 2011

• no, he is not rowdy. he is quit and for the most part a good child, a loving child. i can hold him and hug and kiss him, i am so thankful, i can do both of my grandsons like that. i really dont know what i would do if i could not play with them. i have an special ed teacher who is great, would not trade her for the world, helping me with him. but it is something he started doing. he never really played with toys, but is doing much better. the funny part is he looks to see if i am looking, but it does not affect the outcome. he is not doing it to get my attention, but does know i will say something. so in a way i guess he is trying to get my attention. having a hard time explaining what i am trying to say. it's almost like he cannot help hisself. he slaps his belly, use to flap his arms. i dont know maybe a way of growing up. he is hyper but not as bad as some i have seen in my life you can work with him.
    shelbell210

Comment by shelbell210 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on May. 22, 2011