Crawling out of crib...

at what age did your kid(s) starts climbing and crawling out of their crib..my daughter is 1 and hasnt attempted it yet. just curious as to when she may be starting this..and when they start do you just give them a toddler bed? my crib converts into 3 stages

cnv13085

Asked by cnv13085 at 9:43 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We never came across the problem of physically climbing out, thank goodness, but this is what we did and looked for. She didn't have loads of things in the crib (due to suffocation worries) that she could use as a step. When she was able to put her leg up on the rail, we lowered it. When she could climb IN to the crib with us there and her leg reached the rail again, we got her a toddler bed.

Some little ones start to climb out much earlier than others and require either a cover to keep the child safe in the crib or the change to a toddler bed. It's really an individual thing.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:48 AM on May. 22, 2011

• i think it was bout 1 1/2 or so when my dd started to attempt it i tried to keep her in there as long as poss then when i thought shed get hurt is when i put her in a toddler bed!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:49 AM on May. 22, 2011

• when u get them a toddler bed do they stay in the bed or roam around the room? thats what im concerned about
    cnv13085

Comment by cnv13085 (original poster) at 9:57 AM on May. 22, 2011

• It depends on the child. Thank goodness I only had one that would flip out of the crib, yes flip, reach down grab the rail and flip. He was also the one I found on top of the refrigerator. Gates he could climb over. he was the one that we found the joys and pain of co sleeping it was the only way we wound know if he was to wake up. Quiet sneaky little thing he was. Very few toddlers do this as a matter of fact he's the only one I know of. Most toddlers you hear if they wake up or stay in bed until you get them. BTW he's now a firefighter EMT, all his qualities as an 18 month old has caught up with him.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:08 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My son started climbing out at 19 months. He then went into a twin bed. We taught him to come to our room when he got up plus I am a light sleeper and usually heard him. We also had locks on the door that he could not reach during those years.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 11:12 AM on May. 22, 2011

• My son becasue I worried about i turn his brib into a toddler bed at 18 months but he had a drop side that had been recalled, so I was more worried about him getting hurt with the drop side. He stayed in bed pretty well. When he turned three he went into a big boy bed because he was getting his legs stuck in the rails. My second boy we have to move suddley when he was 18 months and took an rv when moved and could only take what we could fit which didn't include a crib, becasue it was a large one with a dresser and changing table so he is in a big boy bed now as well, sometimes i find him asleep on his rug but no problems, two options would be to put a safty gate in his doorway so that if he gets up he stays in his room, another option would be to close the door, he shouldn't be able to open it yet and if he can you can put a safty handle on the door.
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 12:27 PM on May. 22, 2011