My son is 6 months old and he has a discharge, not smelly or anything, just white and creamy, coming from the incisions where his foreskin was removed during his circumcision. Has this happened to anyone or can someone tell me if he needs a doctor ASAP. Right now we are in the middle of switching jobs which means our old insurance is still effective but the doctors where we are now are not in their system.

Circumcision site discharge

momtreprenuer

Asked by momtreprenuer at 11:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him to the doctor! It might be getting infected. Redness is normal. But i dont think that discharge is. And you cant go wrong with at least checking. You will feel better knowing what it is.
    atlantafan06

Answer by atlantafan06 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I agree - Justin had lots of redness but no discharge. I would try to take him to the doctor ASAP. Good luck!
    Spinse32

Answer by Spinse32 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• This is normal...i have a 14 day old son and a three yr old son and it happened to both of them and of course i took both to the doctors when it did. i was told that it would happen and not to worry...soon after it cleared up and all is good!
    jessekaaa

Answer by jessekaaa at 12:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• To reassure you...My son also had white discharge. I did a search online for infected circumcision. That totally freaked me out so I called the doc panicked. Everything was fine. It was gone in a day.
    Does it look infected? Can you call your old doctor or the one who did the circ just for reassurance. If you are nervous you shouldn't rely on the medical opinions of laymen online (even me!)
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• i don't recall my son having a discharge after circumcision, i take him to the doctor and see what he tells you, just make sure you pull he's sking back a little and wash it with luke water..
    VERONICACP

Answer by VERONICACP at 1:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• my 2 sons didnt have any discharge after their circumsision, so if were u i would take him to a doctor just to be safe and sure,
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 2:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• If the discharge is liquid, like liquid handsoap, it could be infection. If it's chunkier, like soft pieces of cottage cheese, that's called smegma (sp?) and it's normal. When putting powder or diaper rash cream on him, avoid the penis. Also, make sure you're cleaning the head of it gently with a baby wipe regularly. The smegma will work its way out on its own as your son gets more and more erections.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I'd ask a doctor--just to ease your mind and just to be sure!! Good like!!
    Americanmom483

Answer by Americanmom483 at 6:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• thats totally normal. Its fine. its a natural oil the penis just makes. All you have to do is keep it clean. Tristan has it and i just roll down the skin on his penis and wipe it with a rag when hes in the tub. No worries.
    TristansMommie

Answer by TristansMommie at 8:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• It is normal. It's a combination of the secretions that the penis makes, like a previous replier said, and, dead skin. Just gently wash him there during a bath but don't try to pull the loose skin back too roughly. As the penis gets bigger whatever "foreskin" that's left will be stretched out appropriately. I've already discussed these issues with my son doctor. There isn't anything to worry about.
    When I change poopy diapers, I do make sure to clean that area on the penis well because I don't want any poop left in that little crease. Just be gentle and don't worry.
    My son had that several months and is now 16 months and no problem with redness or the secretion. Good luck and enjoy your son! :D
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2009