Do Aethiests Celebrate Christmas?

I have wondered this for a while now. Since Christmas is based on the birth of Christ, the Son of God, if you don't believe in God do you still celebrate? Do you just celebrate the more commercial aspect IE Santa and gifts etc.? I am not trying to be rude I really just am curious!

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• SweatPea - I'm sure its going to be different for every person you ask. (Especially among Atheists.. since there is no organized dogma for "not believing".) It's personal choice how they handle it. I think the point people are making is while "Christmas" is about Christ to you, the idea of celebrating on the 25th is a very old standing holiday. Keep in mind there are some Christians that do not celebrate Christmas *because* it was a converted pagan holiday. :) Fascinating! But to your question.. like I said previously... we have a holiday tradition - it just doesn't involve religion, God/god/goddess/Christ, or anything of the sort. Its about our family, love, togetherness and appreciating what you have.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yep!  Sure do!  Except their is no Jesus in our traditions.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Today's Christmass has NOTHING to do with God or Jesus so of course they celebrate it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• of course they do. they say what vbruno said, i call that Hypocrates! LOLOLOL
    Anonymous

• Yes they celebrate it. My dad is an athiest but we still gather and celebrate. I am a Christian and Christmas has everything to do with Christ... get it? CHRISTmas :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Despite what everyone thinks, no one can exactly pinpoint the day Jesus was born and more and more experts are saying the evidence points towards him being born in the summer, not the winter. Christmas was the Christians way of stamping out another "pagan" holiday, the winter solstice.

debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 8:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I don't celebrate Christmas, I'm a deist. I celebrate family togetherness. The great sandaled one has nothing to do with me or my choice of celebrating December 25th.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 9:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I celebrated as a way to get togeather with families, and for fun making cookies, looking at christmas lights and so on...
    Anonymous

• I'm not Christian, I'm agnostic, but we still celebrate - its a day for family, and a time to appreciate what you have. We have a tradition with our kids of shopping for other kids (usually from the "Angel tree') as a way to give my kids some perspective that there are other kids their age that have needs as simple as socks and coats. I want my kids to appreciate what they have and feel lucky. We never mention any higher power. It's just not about that for my family. As a side... As other have mentioned, Dec 25th belonged to pagans long before the Christians decided to use that celebration as the "birth of Christ" -- mistletoe, holly, wreaths, decorating a tree, Yule log -- all of these predate Christianity.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Christians overtook the holiday of Yule as the date they choose to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

How is Santa and giving presents to loved ones a solely Christian concept?
    Anonymous