Very very picky eater

Ok ladies I am very stressed. I have a 4 yr old who is a very picky eater. She does not eat what the average kid her age would. She basically eats nuggets, Lipton soup cookies and chips at times. Me and my husband have tried to give her new things to try out but what happens is she starts to scream histerically. What worst is she screams like if someone is attacking her. I sometimes give up because god forbid people who live next door to me think we are abusing her or something. Another thing I do is leave the food for her but she literally will not get near it. She would starve instead of trying something new. So any suggestion because I need all the help I can get?? Her pediatric says not to force and of course I would never to that to her. But is going to start kindergarten in the fall and that means she will in school approximately 6-7 hrs a day and I tell you this she will not eat all day if she does not have what normally eats. The teachers won't enforce it and she will go without eating. It will break my heart knowing that she may go all day without food until she gets home. Helpppppp I'm so sad about this and stressed out..

2lilmamas

Asked by 2lilmamas at 11:44 AM on May. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• some kids are sensitive to tastes. My son is 6 and he has always been extremely picky. I let him have whatever he wants and we go shopping and he picks what he wants but I draw the line at cookies and candy. He eats ravioli every day because it is all he will eat and he will drink chocolate milk so I get ovaltine and benefiber and mix it with milk. the benefiber is because he gets constipated because he poor diet. he won't even even gummy vitamins! Alot of people do not understand what it is to have a picky eater and are critical saying we are creating a monster by giving in but you know what y son will starve himself if he doesn't eat what HE wants. I do educate him on healthy foods and keep alot of it around. sometimes he will get hungry and ask for chips and I will tell him to eat a banana first and if he wants chips bad enough he will eat the banana.It is hard to have picky eater.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:58 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Also my son is in kindergarten all day and he refuses to eat hot lunch and his cold lunches are sometimes just a baggie with cheeze its and a juice box because it is all he will eat at school. so it looks like to everyone else I am a bad mom but really I am just giving him what he will eat. so all day long all he eats is cheeze its. Do as the Dr. says and just don't push it and give them what they want as long as it isn't just sugary snacks.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:03 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Thanks ladies. Yes I know we do give on because i would never force her to eat she does not like. I feel like I am going traumatise her and make her be more afraid of food :-(
    2lilmamas

Comment by 2lilmamas (original poster) at 12:45 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I completely understand this! My Daughter is 3 1/2 and is the most picky eater I have ever saw. All she wants is pizza all the time....or cookies and snacks. She used to not be as bad. I used to be able to get her to eat chicken nuggets, popcorn shrimp, sandwhiches and other things but now she literally refuses and says that she doesnt like them anymore. I keep trying to get her to have a wide variety of food she likes but I donno what to do either. I don't force her, I will simply just let her set there until she has completely decided she will not try what I have made. I will give in to her requests if it is kind of reasonable, but not if she hasnt eaten all day and is wanting cookies or something like that. Luckily, I can get her to take the gummy multivitamins and I will give her those pediasure drinks from time to time if she is being particularly picky. Good luck and hang in there!
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 2:50 PM on May. 23, 2011