Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If i go to jail is it possible for my boyfriend to have custody of my kid or would he have to be my husband

i will probably be in jail for a year

he is not the father of my son

he is present he has lived here for 3 years

idk who my sons bio father is

i dont have any family

its my boyfriend or foster care so im hoping my boyfriend can keep him

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on May. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (13)
  • Is he your child's father? I would think that would have a lot to do with who gets custody.

    Answer by mrsjon at 12:02 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • It depends on a lot of things. How long will you be in jail? Where is the father of your children? Does he have joint custody? Is he present at all? Do you have family that could possibly take care of your children?

    Answer by JeremysMom at 12:02 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • Bio parents get custody usually.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:03 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • I guess it depends on if you have other family around and how long you go to jail for...?? I don't know i'm just guessing...

    Answer by Brandi300 at 12:03 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • Wow, none of these ladies even read your question! All of their questions are answered in your post! I'm sorry you haven't received much help, and I wish I could answer this for you...

    Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 12:13 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • maybe you shouldnt do something stupid to cause you to go to jail when you have a kid. Common sense. put your child first if your so worried about him.

    Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:13 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • Temp Power of Attorney will work.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:14 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • Michaelsmom330, she didn't add the info until we asked the questions. SMH, some people are so judgemental.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 12:14 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • You can sign over tempory custody to him that is you choice and your alone. Do NOT give him cusody this will be like a tempory power of attorney, it should be ok just take care of it now

    Answer by Codragonfly at 12:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • if u dont sign over temp custody the child will prob be placed in foster care

    Answer by chrstny88 at 12:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.