Can you please tell me about your high-risk C-Section? (good and bad pls - no baby deaths)

Although it's "touch and go" or "wait and see" with me and the baby, and we have 3-4 months to wait.. It is likely if he makes it, my little one will be delivered by C-Section.

Can you just recount your experience or experiences if you've had more than one? I want to hear the good stories AND the bad ones, so I know what to ask/do/prepare for. My other children were born naturally and vaginally - one at home w trained midwives and emergency preps, and one at a birthing center w doula and licensed midwives as well.

I'm scared of having surgery, I'm scared of anesthesia (is it optional?),
I'm scared of complications.
I currently have a stubborn "Full Placenta Previa", and other complications.
I'm hopeful I'll have a normal delivery and that everything will heal - but c-section is necessary procedure if we don't. I'm wondering what we'll be up against if/when he's born.
Thanks ~SO~ much!

Harmy

Asked by Harmy at 12:18 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Both of my daughters had high risk c-sections and they were fine. One had anesthesia and one just had an epidural. I'm not sure what else to say except doctors are trained for this and will make it as comfortable for you and the baby as they can. The youngest dd's was an emergency c-section and still it was done quickly and she & baby were fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:24 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I had three c-sections- 2003, 2006, 2009--and everything went fine, both for me and for my babies. As far as anesthesia, I had a spinal block all three times. I got a nasty spinal headache with my second that was rough. I can't imagine that anesthesia would ever be optional during a c-section. I think they'd have you committed if you asked for no anesthesia! :D LOL

Recovery with #1 was the hardest. It took me about three weeks until I was totally pain free and feeling 100% healed. I needed alot of help with my baby as far as baths and anything that would cause you to bend over and hold that position.

I am sure you will do just fine either way your precious baby make his enterance into the world! Best of luck to you, Mama!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 12:35 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I had 2 c/s. one was after 23 hrs of labor so the recovery was much harder. my second was planned and it was nice knowing when it was going to happen and having no discomfort so i could focus on the baby when she was born. The recovery wasn't that bad. I had a spinal block for both. i was really nervous about the 2nd spinal block because i was in so much labor pain with the first i didn't pay attention to the shot. All i can say (and i HATE needles) is the spinal is absolutely NOTHING to worry about. The I.V. is much, much worse. The spinal is like getting blood taken, its no big deal. i had a friend tell me that she completely over-reacted right before the spinal and she felt foolish after it was done. i just kep that in mind during the process and it was the best advice anyone gave me as far as the c/s goes. con't....
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:06 PM on May. 22, 2011

• con't...
    the only issue i had was after my second i had this terrible pain in my neck for about 2 weeks. i had no idea it was from the c/s until my doc told me. c/s are great! You're fully aware of what is going on around you and you can focus completely on your new baby right after he/she is born. the recovery kind of sucks but i don't have anything to compare it too because i never had a vaginal delivery. Good luck momma
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:09 PM on May. 22, 2011

• My son was born by emergency C-section after 24 hours of unproductive labor. He's now 7.5 and perfectly healthy. I had gotten an epidural at some point, but could still move my feet and feel "down there" up until they prepped me for the actual surgery. I honestly don't remember much about it now, but it did take me a few weeks to feel like myself. But, as long as I took it easy, rested often and accepted offers of help things were easier.

My daughter was a planned C-section 3.5 years after her brother was born. I got a spinal with this one. It seemed to go pretty easily. I do remember feeling COLD as they were sewing me up. I also fell asleep as they sewed me up. I do remember being pissed at that little curtain/sheet they put up so you can't see below your chest. I wanted to see what they were doing to me, since I couldn't feel it. lol

If you have ANY concerns or questions TALK to the doctor, that's what they're there for.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:17 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Oh, forgot to mention that I DID have a headache reaction to the spinal, which is a side effect. IF that happens to you, don't try to be macho and tough it out. Take the meds, they DO work.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:18 PM on May. 22, 2011

• my daughter was born the day i turned 29wks i had preeclampisa and went into labor and my placnta aburpted so i had to have an emergnancy c section. i was knocked out and she almost didnt make it the dr worked on her for 11mins and was about to caall it when she started breathing and heart started beating agian. sh ewas 11kws early ...being in the O.R. before i was knocked out it was crazy dr n nurses running everywhere. she was 2.11 she is now 6months old and doing awesome. i am pregnant agin an dwill prob have preeclampisa agian so i kno wwat to expect iwth this one

good luck.
    alw06tchs

Answer by alw06tchs at 2:20 PM on May. 22, 2011

• If previa is your main reason, and you still have 3-4 months, you may be just fine! :) With my first, I had full previa and she was transverse for quite a while (I think throught the 6th month? I can't remember now), but eventually the uterus grew, which moved the placenta implantation spot up with the growth. I ended up not needing a c-section. You still have lots of time, but it is good to be prepared, so hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
    squish

Answer by squish at 7:40 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Thank you all for your wonderful responses, thus far.
    I haven't picked one, although I have received some wonderful insight and information both here and by msg (1). You all offer so much, how can I pick just one?

Anyway, I hope to hear more stories, but I think that.. if it is medically necessary, I guess I can find peace and comfort in that.. Any suggestions for what you would do, bring, prepare for, etc?

Does the baby get medicated when you are anesthetized?
    Harmy

Comment by Harmy (original poster) at 7:53 PM on May. 22, 2011