My husband and I can't agree on the spelling of a name. What's your opinion?

We agreed on a name last night... but we can't agree on the spelling. I like Elisabeth, but my hubby prefers Elizabeth. I think the "z" is just too hard a sound. AND my sister and I had agreed years ago that we could both use it, BUT I'd use the "s" and she'd take the "z." Should I give in to hubby and hurt my sisters feelings, or should we look for another name?

mrsjon

Asked by mrsjon at 12:31 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Baby Names

• Honestly, they are both going to be pronounced the same way and most people with probably misspell it if you use the 's'.

So you need to take those factors into account.

If you wind up using the 'z', maybe, to placate your sister, you could come up with a nickname for your child that is different than her child's name.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:37 PM on May. 22, 2011

• hmm i like the z ive never seen it with an s.. maybe talk with your sister and let her know whats going on Good Luck Mommy!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 12:34 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Honestly, my name is Michele with one l and my name has been misspelled my whole life so I would go with Elizabeth. That is just me. If you spell it the other way, you are going to have people misspelling her name all her life.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 12:57 PM on May. 22, 2011

• If it were my daughter, I'd use the "z" spelling.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 12:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• you and dh might pronounce it differently but everyone else is going to say it the same way and your dd is going to have to go through her whole life having to correct the spelling because the z is more common. I understand the agreement with your sis but it seems silly for her to get upset over an s or a z. my dds middle name is elizabeth.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:58 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I like the z better than the s. I had a childhood friend that was Elizabeth. She went by Libby.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:27 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I like the z. People will pronounce it the same no matter which you go with. Talk to your sister and tell her what your husband wants.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 3:28 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I agree with pps- I think the z is more common and going to cause the least amounts of stress for her and you. People are going to pronounce it the same regardless, and more misspellings are likely to happen if you go with the s instead.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:33 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I like the S in it...I have never seen it spelled that way before...I knew a a woman and her daughters name is ELISA....and Elisabeth sounds pretty too...
    mamaevans2

Answer by mamaevans2 at 5:18 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Use the S
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:33 PM on May. 22, 2011