Constipation???

My little girl is 4 months old. She usually has a bowel movement everyday at least once a day. She has not had a bowel movement since Friday.... Should I be worried?? Is there anything I can give her. She has been passing gas. Not acting like its bothering her but I'm a little worried. She is EBF but had 1 6oz bottle of formula on Friday when I was at work. Any advice is apprecitated.

Annette4797

Asked by Annette4797 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dark karo surup its 1 tbsp to ever 4 oz. i dosent have to be exact. thats what i did for my son. doctors orders
    carolinagirl820

Answer by carolinagirl820 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Normal. EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days without a bowel movement, as long as the end result is not hard, dry or pellet like. The formula might have messed with her system, but breastmilk is a natural laxative, and it should fix itself. It also might not have anything to do with the formula, and she may follow a pattern of going a few days in between bowel movements now. You don't need to do anything.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Its most likely the formula....especially 6 oz of it. The iron in BM is easily absorbed and processed. Did you have issues with your prenatals and the iron in it? I did...its synthetic, so is EVERYTHING in formula. Avoid using it again...your baby needs 1 oz per hour you are gone, mots moms have to supplement because they think its more than that.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• my three month old is in the same boat right now and she is also ebf. I called the doctor and they suggested karo which i had already tried. they then told me to get suppositories for infants. if you are unable to find infant you can get children's and cut them in half. she had two slight dirties after that and then a couple of days later, and explosion lol. i have also heard a slight amount of mineral oil will do the trick.
    klbnkndsmm

Answer by klbnkndsmm at 10:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• my son had the same problem and we took him into the doc, and she said that we should change his formula, cause its most likely the formula and sure enough it was we had to switch to soy, so check with your doc and ask if not then try gas relief for baby its a deloving tablet for infants you can fin in the infants isale ..
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 11:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• So before we went to bed she had a pretty big dirty diaper and has gone again today. I'm just going to try avoid formula for now.Thanks everyone for the advice!!!
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2008