How do I get my DD to eat for more than ten minutes at a time?

Alright so my DD loves to sleep all of a sudden now...and I can't wake her up. My fiance and I have tried everything but to no avail...should I let her sleep and only feed her when she obviously wants to eat? I've tried feeding her on the rare chance that I can wake her up but she is very obstinate and purses her lips together in protest of latching on after ten minutes of feeding. It's very strange - this only happens roughly between 6:30pm and 10pm at night, and when I put her down because she refuses to eat...she starts crying...alot. I have tried changing her diapers...rocking her...talking to her...making sure she's neither too hot nor too cold...but it comes down to her being hungry...I just don't understand why she refuses to eat though. She eats a full meal in the morning usually (20 minutes each breast). Oh, What TO DO!?

hornofhawthorn

Asked by hornofhawthorn at 12:31 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's sleeping at night, then leave her ALONE!!! NEVER wake a sleeping baby lol. Anyways you can't make them eat more. If she is having 6-8 wet diapers a day she's doing good.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:42 PM on May. 22, 2011

• How old is she?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:03 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Both of my kids weaned themselves at 9 months old. When it became a HUGE fight to get them to nurse on one side for even 5 minutes I knew they were done. We used formula until they turned 1, then they got milk.

Reason for whole milk until age two: It's the FAT CONTENT. A child brain is still forming and developing until two years old. They need the extra fat content to help the myelin sheaths form and help brain development. ~~Source: my MIL who has an ECE degree and has taught preschool and/or run an in-home daycare for 30+ years.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:33 PM on May. 22, 2011

• my son (now 10 weeks old) did the same thing, and we let him sleep. i knew when his body said he was hungry, he would wake up and want to eat. granted, that would be in the middle of the night often, but it was okay with our situation. if i'm asleep and someone wakes me up before i'm ready, i'm pretty grumpy. i can only assume babies feel the same way.

when i was a baby, my pediatrician told my mom "a baby has never slept through starvation", so i never felt bad letting fischer sleep past a 2-3 hour "feeding schedule"
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 2:21 PM on May. 22, 2011

• thanks :-) i was leaning toward this as well - i kept telling my fiance...i just don't think she's hungry...we can't force her to eat...stupid schedule...i mean honestly...how would an adult feel if being forced to stick to a strict schedule every day...it would be unbearable especially if you weren't hungry...so i have decided to only feed her when she wants to eat. so far...it has WORKED. she now eats for 30-40 minutes on both breasts altogether. she's happy...which means I'm happy (and more rested).

whew...
    hornofhawthorn

Comment by hornofhawthorn (original poster) at 2:40 PM on May. 23, 2011

• she'll be 2 weeks on the 25th
    hornofhawthorn

Comment by hornofhawthorn (original poster) at 2:42 PM on May. 23, 2011