Husband is a pothead.

My husaband smokes every day. It is a problem for several reasons.
1) he spends too much money on it (several hundred a month) and we could use that for other things.
2) When he runs out he becomes out of control. He is irrational and gets pissed at me non-stop.

He wants to quit but always buys more becuase he is in such a bed mood when he stops. Does anyone have any advice on how to help him stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Relationships

• As the child of a 30+yr pothead i can tell you that its not good for your kids to see. And for the nonaddictive comment, i truly disagree. My dad started smoking pot at 13 years old. He was self medicating for a mental illness that nobody would get him help for. Life was extremely difficult, nothing was ever ok unless he was high. Finally, he is clean (not to save the 2 houses he almost lost because he smoked what he was supposed to pay in taxes, or to get visitation back with me, but to get his driver's license back) and he is trying to be the grandpa that my kids deserve. He needs help and a reason to get and stay clean.
    just asking could he have an underlying mental illnes?? (maybe bipolar disorder)
    Anonymous

• There is NOTHING in "pot" to be having withdrawles over. Nothing in it to addict you. It is ALL in his head. Suggest some outpaitent rehab for him. If he gave it more than a day or 2 to get over not having his fix i'm sure he would be just fine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• leave his ass for a month if that dont straighten him up nothing will tell him its me or pot

Anonymous

• go to a docotor. they can give you pills for anxiety. just like for irreitable who try to quit smoking cigs. a doctor cant turn you in for it
    carolinagirl820

Answer by carolinagirl820 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• He has quit for a week or more and he doosn't just get over it.
    How would I find outpatient rehab?
    Anonymous

• Yeah it sounds like he is just having anxiety issues. My boyfriend does it and is the same way if he doesn't have any. He's not horrible, but he is definitely grumpy. I mentioned to him once that he should try quitting and he looked scared. If he ever does decide to quit I will make sure that he sees a doctor first, the anxiety medicine should make it a lot easier.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• leave him until he fully quits. even though it's just pot cops and CPS don't see it as "just" anything but a druggie and his s/o raising kids in a bad environment.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 9:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• maybe you've posted this before.

anything is addictive, pot can be too. my sister in law has the EXACT same problems that you listed with her BF.

He will need to get some real help for this, I would leave him though
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• REHAB
    Anonymous