Does anyone NOT use Infant laundry detergent for your baby clothes & bedding?

I used Dreft for my first baby but it is ridiculously costly, about $20 a bottle here. I use Arm & Hammer Laundry detergent for our adult things. New baby is coming soon. Is it really necessary to use this as opposed to regular detergent? What is your opinion? What do you use? Thanks!

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 12:34 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless you baby is sensitive/allergic to regular laundry soap. It is not necessary.  I use regular laundry soap with my kids frim the day they where born and had no issues.

Answer by louise2 at 12:39 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Special detergent is not necessary.

HOWEVER, you need to get a brand that is free of dyes and perfumes. Both my kids reacted horribly to regular detergent.

I you spend any time researching, you will find that brands that promise "brighter" colors actually include a fluorescent dye in their product. The clothes are no brighter, it's just an optical illusion. And the synthetic fragrances are completely gross.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 12:50 PM on May. 22, 2011

• No, I used Tide from day 1.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:35 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I dont anymore i used to buy specific detergents for my DS but hes 18mnths so i just wash his stuff with mine. i used armonhammer.. i think and something Else but i cant remember now i used tide for both of us

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 12:36 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I use hypoallergenic laundry detergent. I'm allergic to everything and I figured that would be better than baby detergent that's scented, just in case she takes after me.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I used Arm and Hammer for my little one from day one. It's really not necessary to use the 'baby detergent'. I just use the 'free of dyes' one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• But I always use the 'free' Arm and Hammer as my older son has very sensitive skin and Arm and Hammer free was recommended by a dermatologist.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:39 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I only used dreft with baby #2 because he had sensitive skin and allergies. All the others were washed in whatever I washed everyone elses clothes in.

Answer by gemgem at 12:40 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I don't' see the point. My daughter had more sensitive skin than my son. So much so that we switched to the Sensitive Skin wipes for her. But I've used Tide from day 1 and haven't had a problem.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:41 PM on May. 22, 2011

• My MIL insisted i buy dreft, a baby detergent, we did for a while but then just stopped, idk why she thought it and what went through her head at the time (probably because it was just there) but we really didnt need to use it all.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:44 PM on May. 22, 2011