MIL HAS to butt out of our business! HELP!

My pushy MIL, and don't any of you take up for her, is at it again. She's mad that we (at almost 6 weeks) don't have a crib chosen, and is upset that I told her that we have until the middle of January. (Plenty of time for NORMAL people.) She has been trying to run our lives, right down to the checkbook, since we got married. Now she's insisting that we drive an hour, one way, every week to a seminar. Just because she's doing it doesn't mean we have to. Help me use my pregnancy hormones to grow some balls!! Any suggestions?

PS-My hubby has gotten upset with my family and said they're working on not being a part of our lives. Should I pull the same stunt? His parents live 5 hours away (thank the Lord!), but it's like they're next door!!

mrsjon

Asked by mrsjon at 1:10 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• All you have to do is ignore her most of the time, and when she puts you on the spot, give perfectly reasonable excuses like "that's too far away and it's not our kind of thing." If she gets upset, let her be upset. Just say things like "I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's what I/we have decided."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I would tell her that most people don't buy it till the their trimester, it would kinda be weird to buy one now. I am 9 weeks and while I have THOUGHT about which one I might want, we haven't bought one. As for your family, he doesn't get to say they are out of YOUR life. Tell him that. Since you are putting up with all this crap, he cant' say anything about your family. You want a seminar to save money? don't drive 2 hours a week to learn to save money...... just save money by not going and not spending the gas!
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:32 PM on May. 22, 2011

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/32665
    Anonymous

• Yes, I would pull the exact same stunt.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:15 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I'd pull the same stunt for sure. First of all, your baby isn't likely to sleep in a crib until he/she is a couple months old. You need to be straight up with her about your feelings. She can't argue with your feelings because no one can tell you your feelings are wrong..... they're yours. You definitly need to nip this... she needs to butt out. She is way out of line.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:44 PM on May. 22, 2011

• MIL'S BLAH! (((HUGS)))
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:48 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Present it like you are going to do the same, sure.
    Show him what it feels like.
    When the tables are turned, how does he feel??
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:08 PM on May. 22, 2011