Why do cops get away with beating people with a stick?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not too long ago there was a youtube video of a woman being mistreated by the cops. Yeah I thought he was out of line until I saw a video of the enitre incident, she was spitting at him, throwing her phone at him, hitting him with her purse, all the while screaming obsenities. Police brutality happens but I need more then just a short edited video to make that claim.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:07 AM on May. 23, 2011

• If someone resists arrests or the police feel they are dangerous they have every right to use whatever means needed to subdue the criminal. Why do people who break the law expect to be given a bucket of roses when they get arrested?

Answer by gemgem at 1:21 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Cops have every right, and quite a few compelling reasons to defend themselves. When a person tries to flee, or resists arrest, no one knows at that point if they are trying to just get away, or if they are trying to reach a weapon. At that point, cops have a right to use any force necessary to secure the scene ~ and they should. An innocent person who doesn't resist will be released. An innocent person who resists or tries to flee will actually end up with criminal charges if ONLY for resisting arrest. That is the law. No one is above it, including cops.

Just because there ARE some bad cops is no reason to put a single one of the good ones in harm's way. Either you want cops on call when you need them, or you want chaos and you had better be able to defend yourself. A pregnant woman who dives out a window is either in serious need of help, or she is guilty. He first concern should be her unborn baby, not running.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:56 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I would much rather the cops "get away" with beating a criminal, than that criminal injuring or killing the cops or innocent people nearby. You may want to read "Garner vs. Tennessee.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

• There are a few cops who are bad apples. There isn't any profession out there doesn't have bad apples giving everyone else a bad name. It is also very rare that it doesn't eventually catch up to them. Yes, a few may get away with it but most do get caught for using excessive force. However, if a person is doing something criminal or is putting themselves in a situation that makes it seem like they are doing something wrong (such as resisting arrest), then they have themselves to blame.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:26 PM on May. 22, 2011

• The right to life is still there. When you break the law though you lose some rights. Ask any felon in prison who cannot vote.
    Anonymous

• If a police officer says put your hands behind you hands behind your back and attempts to handcuff you and you try to fight them off.... what would you have the officer do?

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:56 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I don't think that while they are  trying to subdue someone with one hand and reach for the pepper spray with the other then to have a clear shot of only that persons face and not their own as well not likely. Even in cases were there are more then 2 officers is everybody supposed to let them go to get a clear shot?

Why isn't the question more of what does the person do to get hit  by the police in the first place?   I have never been handcuffed but would I listen or try to fight them off.... I would go with listen myself.

Its not to say are not bad cops but I think there are way more good then bad.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:12 PM on May. 22, 2011

• LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:02 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Ok, so by your logic anyone who flees from police shouldn't be shot or taken using force. So let's roll with that. Police no longer have the authority to use force if you flee. So now, every murderer, rapist, thief, armed robber, child molestor has a free pass. All they have to do is run from police! They know police can't use force to stop them so they basically would have to let the criminal go. What dangerous criminal wouldn't take advantage of that policy?? That's pretty much the equivalent of just making everything legal. Murder, rape and steal all you want Assholes! The cops can't pursue you anyway! I'm sure that would be a terrific idea.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 4:40 PM on May. 22, 2011