What to do if your child is afraid of bandages?

My little one has a cut on his finger and is having a fit. He don't want me to clean it(its just a scratch). i brought different band-aides with different characters and he is scared of them. I tried to let him put it on his self. He still goes crazy when he see one. I know I kissed his boo boo like 50 times in the past 30 minutes. any tricks ladies?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 1:18 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The liquid bandage. It covers the same, but he wont be able to see or really feel it on his skin.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 1:21 PM on May. 22, 2011

• As for him wanting you to kiss it over and over again. Tell him that you gave all of your kisses to his favorite bear so the bear can give him the kisses, then he can have as many as he wants. Then show him how the bear can give his owie kisses. Works everytime with my kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:21 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I'm not a big bandaid fan. I rarely use them. If it is just a scratch it just needs to be cleaned.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:22 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Liquid bandages are great. Just keep his finger/cut/sore clean to avoid an infection.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:32 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Just don't put on a bandage. If it isn't actively bleeding, it should be fine without one.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:19 PM on May. 22, 2011

• My niece is like that. Her mom washes the area (she loves to wash her hands) and sometimes she will spray boo boo spray (neosporin spray) on it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:19 PM on May. 22, 2011

• He will bust out screaming that it hurts. I think when he rub it against something it irritates it.
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on May. 22, 2011

• We have never used a bandaid yet & my Son is 4. He was the same way. I just clean the scrape & put triple antibiotic ointment on it. Just keep it clean & it will heal faster. We don't even have the Dr. put one on after an injection. They grow out of it eventually. Yet he'll cover his entire face & arms with stickers! LOL! Go figure!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:51 PM on May. 22, 2011

• If it's just a little cut, he's either yelling it hurts because he wants attention or it's infected and hurts when he bumps it. Scratches and scrapes usually don't hurt once they stop bleeding unless they get infected. If there's red all around it then it is infected and you need to make sure you put neosporin on twice a day or take him to the doctor for antibiotics. If it's not infected, I would just tell him "well if it hurts that bad, maybe we need to go to the doctor." Always worked on us when we were faking the owies. Don't worry too much about the bandaids unless it's an open wound or it's still bleeding. Eventually he'll get over that and fake boo boos to get bandaids. lol.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:08 PM on May. 22, 2011