• In the Spotlight:

Is it safe to drink alcohol while breastfeeding?

If I drink alcohol, how long do i need to wait until it is out of my system to safely breastfeed?

mommy3252

Asked by mommy3252 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1 hour per serving.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 8:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• It is safe to drink moderately while breastfeeding. Only a miniscule amount crosses over into the breastmilk. Alcohol processes out of the breastmilk at about the same rate it leaves the bloodstream, about an hour for one standard size serving. If you don't feel the affects of the alcohol (unless you have a high resistance to alcohol) you're fine.
    Anonymous

• Generally 2-3 hrs per serving, I've heard. If it's just one drink, then you don't really have to wait. If you're not feeling the effects, then your milk is fine. There's never a need to pump and dump either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Safe to drive safe to nurse, 1-2 drinks is not enough to cross over into BM,
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    http://www.llli.org//FAQ/alcohol.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I don't think any one knows the real answer to this.

i would pump and discard 2x at least
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• "I don't think any one knows the real answer to this"

Except for the people who have studied the chemical composition of breastmilk and how long it takes to process out of the breastmilk ... you know, the people who know what they're talking about. They have said that the posters before you are right, and that pumping and dumping does nothing.
    Anonymous

• I was told as long as i wasn't feeling it, then it wouldn't cross over. And if i did feel it to pump until i didn't feel it and then pump 2 more times to make sure it was out of my system. But now they have a test that you can use to test the alcohol level in your breastmilk. It's called milkscreen. It's sold online. I don't know how much it cost's but i saw it in a magazine.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

i would pump and discard 2x at least

*snort*
    By suggestion pumping and dumping, you just proved that you don't know how breastmilk works.

RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 11:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2008