What do you think?

Ok, my my DH and his family are not on very good terms and haven't been for a year. We called to tell his mom( his dad won't even take his calls) that I am pregnant. She didn't really seem to care though, it was kinda weird, her response was "oh, ok, can you drive me home from work from now on"? Well he said he would see about it. They work in the same hospital and and get off around the same time and work the same 3 days a wekk but for him to take her home every day it would be 35-40 mins out of his way. His mother doesn't drive, she COULD, she just doesn't. Now they have a 2004 car sitting in their driveway, no one uses it (actually, they have 2 cars no one uses). So my DH is thinking about saying he will take her home all 3 days a week if they would give us the 2004 car. Remember that this would mean he would have to drive close to 2 hours extra a week (and gas is expected to go to $5 a gallon this summer). Do you think this is fair of him to ask? We only have one car, we could afford another one but we are saving for a new home so we are doing with just one. Usually, I would say, it's family, you do for family but with the way they have been treating us, they aren't going to be getting anything free from us for a long time.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 1:45 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I say it is fine to ask. If no let them drive it.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:53 PM on May. 22, 2011

• .. give you a care.. idk i would ask for gas money.
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:55 PM on May. 22, 2011

• they defiantly shouldn't be doing that...Gas is way to much even if you get another car, if your looking to move wasting money is out of the question. Your a family and yes they are apart of your family but your priorities come first. Especially when they are very capable of driving on their own. They shouldn't be being rude to you. They should be happy to be grandparents!
    jjb234

Answer by jjb234 at 2:06 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I'd ask. I mean, what's the worst thing that will happen? They'll say no? If so, I'd tell her to drive herself to work. She has 2 cars, and she is capable. If she's not contributing something, then I wouldn't do it. Just me, though, going on what you've said here.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:43 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I'm not really expecting them to say yes but if they do, great. The fact is that we would be spending about $100 extra a month plus the wear and tear on our ONLY car just to drive her home. It kinda is a fair deal since the car is paid off and just sitting in their driveway. However, they could sell the car for maybe $9,000 and pay someone else to drive her (it seems like paying someone to do that hasn't worked out though). I think we will tell them that and leave the ball in their court.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I agree especially with the gas prices....Heck he can drive to her house leave his car and take theirs and if they don't want to compromise then the deal is off...he is their son not their taxi driver.
    The old saying is you do me a solid and i will do you a solid or you help me and I will help you....No it's not much to ask, but be ready for her and the dad to get really mad, Oh well your doing them a favor by leaving your house early and coming home late.....
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 8:33 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Well she doesn't want him to pick her up from her home, just to take her home from work, I guess his dad drops her off to work in the morning so picking the car up wouldn't work, PLUS it really wouldn't HELP us because he would still have to drive his car more then just to work and back. Again, I feel like family is family, and you do for them but when they treat you like crap and only talk to you when they want something, you have to reconsider. My DH can't do something to help his mom when she treats him like crap while it is taking away from our family.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on May. 23, 2011