Should I let my daughter go?

I'm friends with the mom through school and her 8 yr old daughter and mine have had plenty of playdates, but I don't know if I want her to go with the mom, the daughter and the dad, 2 hours away, for a 2 night, 3 day vacation the day after Christmas. I'm a single mom. Do you think I'm being to clingy, over-protective or any other adjective? I'm not sure what my concern is, except the mom always meets us at her door - I've never been in her house but she's been in mine. I've met the dad, but haven't really had opportunity to talk with him as in a social setting. What would you do if you were me? My daughter says she wants to go, but I don't think she understands how long 3 days will be.

HannahMom2000

Asked by HannahMom2000 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• If you're questoning it, then no, you shouldn't let her go. I think your instincts are trying to tell you something. You know the old saying, "When in doubt, don't." Your daughter will probably be disappointed, but if you're not feeling right about it, don't let her go. Maybe you could plan something special with her like a trip to the movies or a girls night in with all her favorite foods and just do girly stuff together instead so she'll forget about the trip. Good luck! :)
    Anonymous

• I would ask to come over to their house, so that you can get to know them a little better, and talk things over with them. Go by your instincts. If you still don't want her to go after that then don't let her. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i wouldn't let my child go somewhere like that at that age. But that's just me. I'm an overprotective mother. If you don't know the parents well enough to trust them. Then don't let her go. Your first instinct is usually right!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I agree with the other moms.... Your gut is usually right.
    If your instincts are telling you know.... always go with that!
    alleykatt28

Answer by alleykatt28 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I also agree with the moms above. I would be leery because it's a young age. I don't think you're being clingy or overprotective necessarily, but cautious. I also agree with the idea of getting together to kind of "feel them out". Mothers have a strong instinct and I would follow yours. And I just asked my DH for his opinion and he said he wouldn't let her go!!!!!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Go with your gut on this one, i think you already know the answer!
    Anonymous

• You all are right! Go with my instincts! I'm gonna plan an out of town trip of our own. Thanks!
    HannahMom2000

Answer by HannahMom2000 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2008