Potty training tips?

My DS is 20 months old, and with another one on the way we decided to go ahead and try to potty train. He is showing signs that he is ready to learn, but he is afraid of the potty(big potty and little potty chair). I have tried showing him to go sitting down and standing up. His ped said to put cheerios in the potty and have him try to "sink" them with his pee stream, but him seeing me put cheerios in the toilet just made him want to pour the whole box in there :/
Has/is anyone potty trained a boy this young? If so, what worked for you? I would like to have him trained before the new baby gets here, but if not before hopefully soon after.

wywys_mom_09

Asked by wywys_mom_09 at 2:17 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son will be 3 in june and i learnt really fast you cant force them to go you have to let them do it on there own he will let you know when hes really ready to use it my son out of the blue just started useing his after we put it in his room so he could play with it and get comffy with it now all we have to do is remind him to go!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 2:20 PM on May. 22, 2011

• boys are much harder than girls. at 20 months you can try, but it's highly unlikely. with the new baby coming anyway, i'd wait on training, because even if he did do a good job, he'd more than likely just regress...kids don't do very well with changing their own routine when there is another big change going on too. also, IMO i'd have him sit on the potty, not stand, deal with that part later, when he gets the hang of going to the potty and not on himself. for more info click here:

Are you screaming: Potty Training...HELP!?

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:32 PM on May. 22, 2011