Need help with a teen

my niece that lives with me is 13 and she throws a big fit when she dont get what she wants and is interested in boys now... her grandma was the one that let her get away with stuff..what can i do to claim her down and stop throwing fits when she dont get her way?

Mrs.Oakley

Asked by Mrs.Oakley at 2:36 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Take all her shit away and take her door off the hinges.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• First of all, sit her down and explain all of the rules to her, and the consequences for breaking the rules. Let her know that she has been warned as to what will happen if she breaks a rule, then follow through. She will learn that you mean business, but, it may take her a little while.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 2:43 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Explain you have rules within your household and that she will have to follow them.
    pjackson01

Answer by pjackson01 at 3:12 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Just ignore the fits and don't give in or engage her in an argument. Just tell her your word is final, but don't just say no to say no. Say yes on occasion and she may learn to accept the nos better. My daughter will ask me to do something and gets upset if I say no and I say to her then why did you ask me. They love to be in control at this age. It is such a hard age. They are not the cute little kids they once were, but not quite grown up either. Good Luck.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 4:48 PM on May. 22, 2011

• She is testing you. Obviously she has been through a lot... you are her 3rd stop.

Be firm and don't engage when she is throwing a fit. When possible just walk away. This takes practice. It is easy to get caught up in the emotion of her tantrum.

I also agree a bit with "emmyandlisa". If she is extreme. Remove her stuff and give her the option to earn it back. She also may need some anger management classes
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:38 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Shes obviously testing u show her you wont take her crap
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 10:28 PM on May. 23, 2011

• STand your ground
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:31 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Put your foot down. Make her listen and if she wont take away privlages. Also explain to her that she makes it obvious that she isnt mature enough to have a boyfriend. Dont let guys or friends at all come over until she stops acting like a little kid. You wont be doing her a favor by letting her get away with these actions. It is hurting her to. The older she gets the more the behavior becomes habit.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:24 PM on May. 26, 2011

• She needs clear guidelines and consequences for not following them.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:12 PM on May. 26, 2011

• lay down the rules and tell her she cant talk to any boys until she can prove she is grown enough to be allowed out of the house.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 8:26 PM on May. 30, 2011