Introducing a puppy to a (very, very) territorial cat?

We've had our cat for 10 years. She is an only cat. Any time we've tried to bring a new kitten into the house, she FREAKS. We had a stray years ago that stayed outside and had kittens, when we tried to bring one in, our cat attacked the poor thing. So obviously we didn't keep the kitten. Our cat also will hiss at any outdoor cats she sees that might come in the yard or whatever. Our cat is strictly an indoor cat, never goes out. She will sometimes see a cat from the window and gets all freakish.
We want to get a puppy for our son. I'm so concerned about our cat. I'm afraid she will try to go after the puppy. Any suggestions? Because of the way she's acted toward other cats is what worries me. Will she be the same way with a puppy? I mean, obvioulsy no one can tell me for sure, lol, just looking for ideas on how to go about introducing a puppy into the house.

CookieMom108

Asked by CookieMom108 at 2:44 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Most likely, she'll act the same way (if not worse) about a puppy. And she WILL attack the puppy, there's nothing you can do about that... it's just going to happen. Puppy will get too close, and she'll teach him not to do that again. I found this link for you... http://leerburg.com/dog-cat.htm  Good luck! 

CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 2:52 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I would introduce them through a kennel. Keep the puppy safely in the kennel where he can't get hurt until the kitty starts to ignore his presence. Any out of kennel interaction should be supervised until she gets over the new pet being there. Maybe a spray bottle and every time she goes after the puppy give her a spritz. Those are the only suggestions I can offer. I know the first one works for dogs but I've always had to introduce a dog to a new cat, never the other way around. :\
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:24 PM on May. 22, 2011

• The puppy will ignore her. Dogs r very tolerant of cats.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:02 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Thanks. We'll look into getting a little crate when we get the puppy. I'm more worried about my cat hurting the puppy. She can be mean. Not everyday mean, but she doesn't like strangers, least of all a 4-legged one!
    CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I agree with another poster, the puppy will figure out quickly to leave the cat alone. I got a new puppy and one of my cats was not happy, by day 2 the puppy was chasing and playing with my other cat but if he even looked in the direction of Peaty would give him some kind of evil cat snarl and the puppy would turn and run! lol It's been almost 2 months now and they completely ignore each other.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Actually, you'd be surprised. My cat pitched a fit when I kept my friend's cat while she was out of town but, when I brought my puppy home she took to her with little problem, but she's been raised with dogs (I have an older collie, in addition to the pup)
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 9:04 PM on May. 23, 2011