What do you buy your larger sized daughters, for clothes?

Friends dd is almost 9 and has a belly, big legs, jeans are always too tight, complains that everything is too sweaty, she basicly wears the same 2 pairs of pants,(stretchy kind) all the time. SHe is a fashion disaster. SHe needs help in finding clothes that she might wear. Shopping is a nightmare, she will try on 15 pairs of pants or shirts and wil find a problem for all of them. Yet she is ok wearing the same frumpy things all the time....her friends are starting to bug her. Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on May. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is so depressing. A 9 year old should not hve a big belly and have to wear big clothes. SHe needs to eat less and excerise more ---the way she is staring out is dangerous and bad for her health. Her health should be the number one concern.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:56 PM on May. 22, 2011

• i was 180 pounds when i was 9...i started shopping in the teen section by then...but i was also around 5'6 when i was 9...i would try to shop in the teen section for pants and shirts they have cute stuff in there
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 3:00 PM on May. 22, 2011

• she finds a problem in everything because she has esteem issues. i was an overweight kid and what you described sounded a lot like me. and this is such a tough age for confidence and esteem issues, because you hold so much influence from your peers. i feel bad for her, i really do
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:01 PM on May. 22, 2011

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/overweight_obesity.html

This is a good site and maybe you could show is to your friend. Or print it out so she can read it. Kids have enough to worry about ....why allow her kid to be overweight and unhealthy and unhappy? That is just plain unfair.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:05 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You buy whatever fits and if she is uncomfortable then put her on a diet. Tell her if she loses weight she will be comfortable in almost anything. My family has overweight people and I knew when I had kids teaching them to eat right and play sports was the way to go. I didnt want my child to be teased or made fun of for being overweight. This girl needs to be put in after school sports, taken for walks, and put on a well balanced diet and cut off all soda, sweets, and minimize carbs.

Answer by gemgem at 3:23 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You can't just throw her into sports and expect the problem to go away. I was a chunky kid and my parents thought the solution was to force me to play sports - I was stuck on the basketball and softball teams in 3rd grade and was miserable. I didn't loose weight but it made me hate myself even more.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:56 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Hi--I had the same problem with my daughter finding clothes when she was younger. We would have to move to the juniors department and then the clothes were too sophisticated and at times inappropriate. They carry girls plus sized clothing at Sears, and here is a link Many Plus Sized Clothes

marylandmom51

Answer by marylandmom51 at 4:06 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Dang now I know why you did this question anonymously. Some people are just chubby it's a valid body type that some people have. I hit puberty early so for me stuff never fit through the hips,butt,thighs or chest. I went to junior's and had more luck, but Sears is probly your best bet if have a hard time finding her size in juniors it also depends how tall she is with juniors because they tend to be aimed at girls who are at least 5'0.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 2:28 PM on May. 23, 2011