How to keep a curl?

I have a question for all you ladies that know about styling hair.
How do I keep a curl in my hair?
My hair is thick with a little bit of a wave and is cut about two inches below my shoulders. I use a curl holding product before I curl it (with a curling wand, but I have also tried hot rollers, a curling iron and a flat iron). Then I use a little hairspray to help hold it...but within an hour the curls have fallen and it's just looks like messy waves and by the afternoon it's almost flat!
*sigh*.
I'm not looking for ringlets, I just want the original curl to stay!
Any tips?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 3:08 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Use the curl enhancer and a mousse. Also do not touch the hair once it is styled. I have the same kind of hair and this is the only thing that helps it stay curly.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:13 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I usually spray the hair with hair spray before curling, do a whole row and let them cool, then spray with more hairspray. And make sure you use the aerosol hairspray, Tresemme is my favorite.
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 3:26 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Use a curl enhancer and then curl your hair. Lightly spray your hair. Then use alligator clips to  pin your curls on your head. Leave the clips in until your hair is completely cool and the curls have fully set. Take your clips out and spray your hair again. Letting your curls cool before the weight of your hair pulls them down should give them a much longer life. Hope this helps you! :D

htttp://hairsprouts.com/images/products/allclips.jpg

CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:35 PM on May. 22, 2011

• If your hair is one length, I suggest layering. The weight of the hair will also pull the curl down and out. One thing you can try is sponge roller setting. It works great on longer hair and you can use it on one length. Warning, pracitice with it at 1st. It will give great curl when you 1st take them out. Use only about 8 curlers total or you will have curls like you won't believe. Set on dry hair, sleep on it, spray with a hairspray after removing curlers, let spray dry then run fingers through. It takes some practice to get figured out, but gives long lasting curl. Feel free to message me if you want any tips. Good Luck..
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:40 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I use lots and lots of hairspray. and after I'm done, I run a little of Aveda's Humectant pomade to loosen the curls and to get rid of the yucky feel of the hairspray. This also makes the hair real soft as well.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 9:50 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I am a hairstylist. If you blow dry your hair, make sure your hair is cool so you can feel IF any part of your hair is wet/damp. Blow dry from the scalp out...as the water will move from your scalp out to the ends of the hair. I use a thermal active spray before I curl it. When you use the curling iron, do not overlap the hair in the same spot over and over....start closest to the handle of the iron and spiral it up to the tip. This way the hair gets more even heat. Let the curls cool completely before fingering through them. DO NOT BRUSH! This will pull the curl out. If you use the thermal active spray you do not need the hairspray as this will weigh the hair down....just use where you want to hold the hair in place. (such as bang area) If you want lift...spray on scalp at the root of the hair. :) I hope this helps you!
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 10:00 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Also.... for those that use regular hairspray before curling...you are lamenating your hair.
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 10:03 PM on May. 22, 2011