Pro Choicer's: Do you support Partial Birth Abortions?

There are absolutely no obstetrical situations encountered in this country which would require partial- birth abortion to preserve the life or health of the mother.
There is absolutely no medical reason to kill the baby except that the mother wants him dead.
Why do you support it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No not at all.... I think there is a time and place for abortion such as rape, sever underage, and incest.... but partial birth abortions are murder in every sence and very very wrong while I agree theres a time and place for abortions I think i should be done before the heartbeat is going which i think i read is like 40 some odd days i know its not always easy to catch a pregnancy b4 this but get it done as soon as possible and 8 weeks should be a cut off!! But again no I do not support partial birth abortions at ALL my ex sister in law had one and it makes me ashamed to even know her!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I don't. HOWEVER, I also don't support anyone telling a woman what she can and cannot do with her body.

What if I lobbied for a law saying that no family is allowed more than two children and women must get sterilized after their second birth in order to make sure they can't have more than two?

Sorry, nobody gets a say here.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I know someone personally who had one for a medical reason.  At 7 months she discovered her baby had no brain stem.  It had no chance of survival at all.  A partial birth abortion was performed to spare her the agony of having a c-section or going through labor.  Cases like these are the only times partial birth abortions are performed.  That is why they are exceptionally rare. 

I would never tell a woman who had spent a pregnancy waiting for a baby that was wanted and loved how she should cope with the situation.  I would no force anyone to continue a pregnancy or undergo a major medical procedure because pro-lifers have presented partial birth abortion as something women do because they don't want a baby.  Woman having this procedure are devastated that they aren't having a baby.

Unless you have personal experience with this, please don't pretend to be an expert.

Anonymous

• another question posted to start drama.. oh well
    Anonymous

• A fact that I think that you are missing is that many partial-birth abortions are in fact medical terminations, wherein the baby has a severe defect and the parents choose not to complete the pregnancy. And yes, some of these condtions do threaten the mother- I have a friend whose unborn child had a fatal heart defect which caused fetal hydrops- the severe swelling of the baby threatened to rupture mom's uterus if the pregnancy continued. She terminated- it broke her heart. Who are you to decide whether a woman should have to carry a pregnancy that is doomed to end in the death of the baby anyhow? Who are you to decide what is best for the unborn child, the mom, other living siblings? Just hope you never have to make this choice!
    Anonymous

• I would never shame someone for having a partial birth abortion in these cases above thats not what I meant at all I meant the mothers who have them just because!!! Its sick!! Like I said there is a time and place for abortions!! thats just my opinion and I agree nobody should tell a women what to do with her body but we can have an opinion!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• AND just to make this clear............... the OP said IF there is no medical reason at all!!!!! Just throwing that out there cause I answerd the ? accordingly!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Actually the question does seem VERY judgmental to me. As a pro-choice voter, I am accustomed to ridicule and judgment but it can be difficult to give an opinion in either case.

I do, however, believe women have a right to make decisions for themselves about their reproductive health. Partial birth abortion is not normally performed just for shits and giggles or because a woman does not "want" her baby. That is such an ignorant viewpoint and I hear it so often, it's sad. Most doctors have a cut-off of no more than 24 weeks gestation for an average abortion service to be performed. The fetus and/or the mother must be in a medically dire situation for most doctors to perform PBA.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• continued...I cannot imagine carrying my baby for 7 months (like I have) and finding out she has no chance of survival!! I mean, no brain stem?? How could anyone think that woman should have carried the pregnancy to term?? I imagine, only someone who has NEVER been there or does not believe women can decide for themselves.

In MY perfect world, all people would live their lives as they see fit. No one would TELL another person what is right for them or judge. I believe that women are so strong and can do ANYTHING in the world they choose to do. It continuously hurts me to see women bashing or hurting other women. We should all support one another...no matter our beliefs.
    MammaMia72

• MammaMia72 It continuously hurts me to see women bashing or hurting other women. We should all support one another...no matter our beliefs.
    ***************************
    I agree with you. unfortunately some love to judge others and attack and hurt other women. I think it's sad. and really believe that is their way of feeling better about themselves. sad but true
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2008