One bedroon apartment 3 kids

My ex has the kids for the summer. He lost his house last year and now can only afford a one bedroom. My teenager daughter is sleeping on the couch.
My boys are sleeping on the floor of the bedroom. The kids are very unhappy but he is making them stay. I didn't want to have to make it a legal issue but am afraid I might not have a choice. Would soical services help me?

cambrat

Asked by cambrat at 4:27 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Call CPS and see. To me you should be required to have more than one bedroom for four people.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:30 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I doubt it....thats not abuse, it's just inconveniant...I don't think there is anything legal that you can do about it
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:30 PM on May. 22, 2011

• If thed kids are unhappy, don't involve Social Services. If they are in danger, get your kids out of there and call Social Services.

They'll adjust.
    Anonymous

• Can the teenage girl have the bedroom since she needs more privacy and your ex and the boys use the couch and living room area for sleeping.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:32 PM on May. 22, 2011

• there's nothing you can do about it...its just tight quarters they'll have to deal with it......there's 6 people on a one bedroom rental, its my boyfriends family to be exact they don't like it but they get over it.....CPS will probably just laugh at you about it......
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 4:34 PM on May. 22, 2011

• In this day and age you never know what qualifies as abuse neglect illegal.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I'd tell the kids to just tuff it out. It isn't permanent and at least he is trying, they'll be grown and living their own life soon enough. So long as it isn't physically harming the kids don't worry about it.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 4:45 PM on May. 22, 2011

• CPS will tell him flat out that each child needs a bed (not a couch, not a mat on the floor a bed) and the apartment complex would probably have a problem with that as well since most places only allow 2 or MAYBE 3 people per bedroom in the apartment. This is inappropriate.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:47 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Honestly, I think each child is required to have a bed and them not having one is neglect which is a form of abuse.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:47 PM on May. 22, 2011

• scout mom is 100% correct. My neighbor was having his 4 kids sleep on the living room floor during visits (EOW) and mom called CPS and they said each child sleeping there needed a bed. They don't HAVE to have their own bedroom BUT bedroom sharing has to provide everyone privacy. He lives with his parents and younger brother so there wasn't a place for any extra beds so he only gets them every other Saturday and the opposite Sunday.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:51 PM on May. 22, 2011